Gallstones AND Pregnant......

iVillage Member
Gallstones AND Pregnant......
Wed, 03-10-2010 - 11:44am

I was FINALLY DX last fall with gallstones....  I have had them for YEARS I have determined...but my symptoms wouldn't last and so the regular drs just kind of blew them off as indigestion.  (my pains never were in my stomach-- they will appear between my shoulderblades-- usually, after a big/probably fatty meal and I think it was a back spasm -- would ice, be in excruciating pain and by morning-- it was gone.  For another 6 months or so... then would happen again.

the u/s revealed that I have 2, 1" gall stones in there.   (thanks to TWO, back to back episodes on a Chicago vacation....stupid chicago style pizza, LOL)....

So...when I found out I was pregnant... then found out the gall stone issue.... Dr. just told me to eat a low fat diet.  Okay-- so I "kinda" did that and was breezing thru this pregnancy when on Sunday, I believe I had another attack.  This one was different.  the pain was like heartburn, lower in the middle down from the breast bones (but above the breasts) vs. the chicago pain of right side, under ribs... well, after taking tums and downing some Pepto-- with NO relief, I figured it was the dang gall bladder.

Obviously, I do NOT want surgery until the baby is out....but I have been reading that 2 T. of Apple Cider Vinegar in a cup of Apple Juice will help with your pain--  which I did manage to get some down-- and yes, it worked-- so, I am wondering if anyone does that as a regular part of their diet (daily) to prevent future attacks?  (also, not with my previous attacks.... I drank a shot of peppermint schnapps and that also helped settle things-- but with pregnancy, I'm not drinking any alcohol).

Also...I read one post on here that acupuncture helped them.....something that I am also going to try.

Thanks for any insight :)

wenz090210.jpg picture by broncowenz

2ad581c0.gif

fanilow.gif

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-11-2010 - 7:29pm

Hi and welcome to the board. I hope things are settling down now. I can understand not wanting to have surgery with the little one on board.

I really don't know what to suggest besides the low fat diet. Increasing the fiber in your diet may also help. I am not sure how much good the vinegar does, but at least it should not be harmful.

As far as I know, the only real treatment for gallstones the size of yours is surgery, but hopefully you can put it off until after the baby is born.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-17-2010 - 7:34pm
Just wanted to let you know that last night I had that feeling that I might be getting another attack.... managed to get down the 2T of apple cidar vinegar in a glass of apple juice and I can't tell you how much better I felt.... just a tip for others to try ;)

wenz090210.jpg picture by broncowenz

2ad581c0.gif

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 3:15pm
Glad to hear that that helped! Hope you can hold off the need for surgery.

Photobucket

Photobucket