Stress induced stomach problems??

iVillage Member
Stress induced stomach problems??
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 8:48am
Hello everyone,
I have been going through a lot of stress lately and it's been causing me some stomach issues. I was having stomach cramps and some loose stools when I'd feel nervous or stressed out. I have gone through anxiety problems before so I started following some guidelines again that I learned before. I started doing deep abdominal breathing and walking every day to release pent up stress and anxiety. I have also been watching what I eat pretty closely and I have somewhat been on a soup diet. I am eating very blandly and not eating a whole lot of solids. Just mainly liquids. I have been doing this for the past 3 days or so and though now my stomach doesn't hurt after I eat I will randomly feel the urge to go to the bathroom. When I go it's usually still loose and diarrhea like. But it doesn't hurt anymore. I'm not sure if it's just b/c of the diet I have been on that has been so water based or that that would make a difference? I have also noted that b/c I am used to eating more hearty meals I am hungry a lot faster during the day and weak at times. My stomach makes a lot of noise with gas also. I kind of worry that I may have IBS but then again I don't know that it's just the current state of things that I am going through. My brother has Chron's disease but other than that there are no other digestive conditions in my immediate or extended family. Could this be just stress induced or is there more to this?
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-31-2010 - 1:19pm

Hi and welcome to the board!

It is entirely possible that your digestive issues are caused by stress. It is also possible that it could be IBS or some other digestive condition. If it continues over a period of

Photobucket