A Better Diet for IBS Sufferers!

iVillage Member
A Better Diet for IBS Sufferers!
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 3:02pm

Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a problem for 15 to 20 percent of all U.S. adults, mostly women. Doctors don't know what causes it, there is no known cure, and it can make life miserable.

IBS is not a disease, but a set of chronic symptoms that can interfere with daily living. IBS sufferers seem to have colons that are hypersensitive to stimulation -- the colon is most commonly stimulated by stress and by a variety of foods and beverages. This leads to spasms, which result in intolerable pain from cramps and gas, and can set off a bout of diarrhea or result in constipation.

Even though there is no known cure, most people with IBS are able to control their symptoms through medications prescribed by their physicians, stress management and diet. Although everyone has her own unique foods that may set off IBS, there are some trigger foods common to most IBS patients.

Find out about the Better Digestion Diet and the triggers to avoid for a calm colon.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 6:53pm
I think this is a very good article for people with IBS to keep handy for a reference. Some people seem to have a very hard time figuring out what foods are safe for them. This should help.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 9:56am
As an IBS sufferer myself, I thought the same thing.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-05-2010 - 5:16pm
That's interesting because generally potatoes are on the safe soluble fiber list. I guess everyone is different. That is one value of keeping a food diary, because it helps you figure out what your own problem foods are.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 9:14am

I know, it's an odd one.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 8:48am

That's very helpful but also very depressing to see how much needs to be cut out and how little (and flavorless) is okay to eat. It will also make eating out difficult. But I'm going to give it a go.

The thing I'm worried about is that I have mainly constipation (with random diarrhea) and I have been on a high fiber diet to counteract that. It helps a little so I'm worried that cutting out a lot of my sources of fiber will make things worse. But on the other hand, I'm wondering if the constipation is caused by all the other stuff I SHOULD be avoiding and if I start avoiding them, even if it means cutting out my fiber sources, it won't make the constipation worse. I guess I just have to try it and find out.

They only mention soy and rice milk but I think goats milk is okay too, isn't it? My dad is lactose intolerant/has IBS and he uses goats milk - says it's fine on his system and doesn't taste any different from cow's milk.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-13-2010 - 10:01am

I'm not sure on the milk question, but it might be worth asking your doctor about.

I have found, personally, that taking a fiber supplement helps, too. ;)

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 4:32am
Fiber supplements are definitely a no for me - they give me VERY unpleasant gas.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 4:02pm

I think some of the fiber restrictions are more important for people whose primary problem is diarrhea. The key seems to be to use mostly soluble fiber -- rice, pasta, oatmal, barley, corn meal, quinoa, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, avocado, bananas, and applesauce are good sources. Other whole grains are more insoluble fiber and should be used in smaller amounts and are best used in combination with soluble fiber.

The milk issue may be a

Photobucket