Constantly Constipated

iVillage Member
Constantly Constipated
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 7:28pm

I've struggled with constipation my WHOLE life. My parents used to give me mineral oil mixed with chocolate syrup in an attempt to 'keep things moving'.

I will go 3 days without going #2 on a regular basis. I feel like my overall wellness is affected negatively by this as I'm on birth control and I feel I'm reabsorbing hormones by not disposing of my waste properly. Also, when I finally 'go', its so large it hurts coming out and plugs the toilet.

I eat very healthy (veggies, fruit, lean protein), exercise a ton and sleep OK. I am stressed but I haven't been stressed my whole life.

I've been to naturopaths who suggested I don't have enough stomach acid to digest food and that I'm possibly gluten intolerant. I do find eating rice pasta, rice bread, makes me feel less bloated but a lot of the times eating something like oatmeal for breakfast gives me stomach pains. I will be so bloated by the end of the day that I look pregnant.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this?? Any at home remedies?

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 8:36pm

I am sure this must be very uncomfortable and distressing for you.

Here is the information that iVillage has on constipation: http://www.ivillage.com/constipation/88749

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 05-14-2010 - 5:17pm

Thanks for your advice. I have always been embarssed to talk about this with my doctor but I am starting to realize that potentially, this may be causing other problems.

Like, I get completely bloated by the end of the day. Before, when I was dating my BF, if I was really bloated, I didn't want to have sex etc etc.

I guess I will make an appointment with my GP and see if she can refer me to a gastro...

iVillage Member
Sat, 05-15-2010 - 8:00am

Yeah, it can be a little embarrassing to talk about, but it is important not to let that stand in the way of getting an answer to what is going on, so I am glad to hear you are making an appointment with your doctor.

Keep us posted.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-30-2011 - 8:46am

I experienced before a severe constipation,1 week due to stress and ways of eating.I took laxatives before but after that nothings change another week of constipation. But Now its gone,im a fast eater before and now i chew foods properly(dont hurry when eating),try some exercise for intestines(hullahopping), im taking cloves of garlic thrice a week(according to studies it prevents colon cancer), i drink plenty of water(before going to sleep) and i followed a program (http://tinyurl.com/endconstip ). NOW hardly for me to experience constipation but sometimes im still experiencing it due to stress but for only 2-3 days.