Could this be IBS??

iVillage Member
Could this be IBS??
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 9:05am

Hi

Today I am off work sick with "tummy problems"  for the 7th time in the last 12 months. And I am now thinking that this is far too many times for me to have caught a stomach bug.

I a finally now considering that I may have other issues that need to be addressed. Tried to get an appointment with my doctor today but no joy. The earliest appointment I can get is next Wednesday so I am looking for any help you can give me.

Over the last 12 months (actually when I think about it, it could be longer) I have noticed a change in my bowel movements. I used to be regular as clockwork, every morning after my cup of tea. Very occasionally after eating particularly rich foods i would suffer from constipation and sharp tummy pains but nothing too bad.

However now I can go from being normal to having constipation for 3 or 4 days to being normal again to having very frequent loose stools (sometimes 5 or 6 times in the space of 2 hrs). I have also suffered from nausea and stomach cramps/bloating and really bad wind. The excess wind has been getting worse and worse over the last couple of months to the point where it has become a bit of a laughing matter in my family. My tummy is also very bubbly and sometimes quite loud gurgling noises can be heard. It is getting to the point where I feel embarrassed to go out or go to work when my tummy is having one of its "moments".

Every couple of months I seem to get a particularly bad episode where I end up taking a day or two off work sick. Like today.

This typical episode has gone as follows :

Early part of last week i had constipation for two days with the normal wind and bloating and tummy cramps (very low down and sharp pain) the only way to relieve the pain is to get on all fours and rub my tummy until I pass wind. Then I had a couple of normal days before Thursday when I had a very grumbly tummy and bad wind. Friday I was also very windy and when I got home from work I had to run to the bathroom as I was barely able to hold the stools in. Since then I have had regular loose stools and feeling sick and windy after eating. Last night the stomach pains started and today I am still having odd cramps and wind and feeling bloated. When I get a bad episode I also seem to get a headache and slightly raised temperature and feel really sleepy.

Can anyone tell me is this typical of IBS?  I have read that certain foods trigger it. I eat fairly healthily but I do eat alot of veg and pulses and cereal and eggs and cheese. I don't drink an awful lot of tea or coffee about 2 or 3 cups a day and I don't drink alot of alcohol but I do drink about 2 or 3 pints of beer over the weekend.

What can I expect when I visit my doctor next week and how do I go about finding out what foods are causing these problems?

Any help greatly appreciated. Sorry this is sooo long

Scorpio1811 xx

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 12:53am

A lot of your symptoms sound like IBS, so it is a distinct possibility. I am glad you are going to your doctor to get this checked out.

Most likely your doctor will take a careful history of your problem, ask you a few questions, and then decide what, if any, additional tests may be needed.

I would suggest that you start keeping a food diary to see if you can identify any trigger foods. Those can be different for different people. Common triggers are dairy products, red meat, fried or greasy foods, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, caffiene, and carbonated beverages, but not all people with IBS are bothered by all of those things. And some people have totally different triggers.

Good luck. Let us know how the doctor visit goes.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 1:18pm

Thanks for your mesasge.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 12:59am

Good luck with your doctor visit. I will be looking for your update.

Whether the lump has anything to do with your tummy troubles or not (which I doubt) you should mention it to your doctor, too. If it is causing discomfort it merits looking at.

Photobucket