Acid reflux causing chest pain?

iVillage Member
Acid reflux causing chest pain?
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 12:55pm

Although I have never had an official diagnosis, I assume my frequent bouts of heartburn are caused by acid reflux. I also suffer from pains in my chest whenever my heart rate increases (exercise, anxiety, etc.) I was tested for heart problems a couple of years ago, even had an angiogram and was assured that "my heart was functioning as God intended". So, I have wondered lately if the pain can be related to my reflux/heartburn issues. Is it possible that damage to the esophagus could cause these symptoms? The pain lasts a very short time, but is quite intense initially.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 4:27pm

Since your heart was tested and no problem found, it seems likely that you don't need to be concerned about that. Were you having this type of pain when that testing was done?

It is indeed possible to have chest pain from esophageal reflux. I had a friend who thought several times that she was having a heart attack when it turned out to be esophageal spasms caused by acid reflux. The pain was very intense.

Have you had an endoscopy to check your esophagus? You may have erosion or an ulcer caused by the reflux. If you have not discussed this with your doctor I think it would be wise to do it now.

Photobucket