Why swollen belly??

iVillage Member
Why swollen belly??
Sat, 07-17-2010 - 9:52pm

Hi Everyone, I hope you all could give me some insight on my issue. Well I am 27 years old. I live a active lifestyle. I workout about 4-5x a week. I don't eat super healthy but i don't eat bad either. My day usually starts with a good bowl of cereal and non fat milk. Then i have a salad or a decent size lunch, and for dinner I snack around a lot. Anyway my entire life ive been a toothpick. Ive started gaining some weight mostly cause of age and probably working out has made me a bit more muscular. However, I was always known for my flat stomach. And about a year ago I would notice whenever I ate my belly would just expand tremendously. I assumed it was a "food baby". However, within the last 3-4 months I noticed it didnt matter what i ate, i looked like i was about 4-5 months pregnant. I mean even my family members would notice and be suspicious. I could eat a grape, and my stomach swells up. I'm about 5'3 and 107lbs. I do not understand why my stomach becomes so swollen. I am pretty consistent in my bowels, and I drink plenty of water. Anyone know what I can do? I order probiotics to see if that will help. I'm not sure what to do, its making me crazy because I am killing myself doing abs at the gym, yet my belly is hard and when i look down i cant see my toes. Wha the heck?!

Thank YOU!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-30-2010 - 12:52pm

Hi Michelle and welcome.

There are lots more reasons for a swollen belly than just gastroparesis. And gastroparesis would not explain any breast symptoms. I hope you press your doctors for answers once you have recovered from your surgery. Please let us know what you find out.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-29-2010 - 5:04am

You said after tests were performed, doctors concluded "Gastroparesis"

For 3 years I have looked pregnant(breasts and all:) What treatment did doc's determine was best for you? 2 Weeks ago my appendix was removed I know there is alot more than that going on. I'll have to wait 6 weeks before "Papida" tests can be performed.

Wishing you renewed health!

Michelle

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-27-2010 - 3:34pm

When you say you can eat a grape and your belly swells, is this your only symptom? or do you feel super full, as if you just ate an entire meal? While it could be many things, this is very true, have you been to see your regular doctor?? Before I went to see a GI doctor, I began experiencing some of the symptoms mentioned by one of the other posters, because I was trying to eat regular meals,

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 6:50am
I have IBS and I have this problem as well but I also have excess gas, cramping and constipation with periodic diarrhea. If you don't have any other symptoms, I'm not sure what it could be. If it's that noticeable to others, you should see your doctor. Let me know if you find a cure because I have not been able to find one. I can keep the bloating to a minimal by eating healthy, small portions and avoiding carbonated drinks and alcohol - but nothing gets it back to normal unless I go about 8 hours without eating (ie, it is flat in the morning when I wake up, before I eat anything).

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 8:55am

Hi and welcome! I am not sure what could be causing your problem, as there are a lot of possibilities. Is your belly only large after you eat, or is it all the time? Do you have increased gas or any abdominal discomfort?

Photobucket