leaky gut?

iVillage Member
leaky gut?
Sat, 08-28-2010 - 7:27pm

I could make this post waaay longer, but I think it would be easier to just answer questions as they come up.

Has anyone dealt with "leaky gut"? I was told I have this after a food sensitivity blood test showed a reaction to almost EVERYTHING. I am trying to deal with it holistically through diet/supplements at the advice of my chiropractor.

iVillage Member
In reply to: angelaregnier
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 10:05am

I have not dealt with leaky gut...

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 1:20pm

Honestly, I went to my chiropractor because I was at my wits end. When I first got this MD, I liked her, because she has a hollistic approach to medicine. Now that I have been going to her for a couple years, I am looking for a new doctor because she seems too extreme.

For example, she told me that sensitivites to wheat and dairy can never be completely cured and that I would need to avoid both for the rest of my life. First of all, this contradicts everything I have read up about on food sensitivies. She even admits that other sensitivies can go away, so why not these two things? She told me that "cow's milk is for baby cow's". Honestly, I think she has a prejudice against milk and wheat and is trying to use my test results to further that opinion. Even my chiro who has a "wheat free" day at the office every couple of months (recipes and literature, etc), says that you CAN get over that.

Also, everytime I call her office to ask a simple question, I am put on hold for 5 minutes before they even know why I am calling. Then I hold again. She wouldn't sign a release form to the place that did my blood test so that they could mail me an additional copy of my test results...instead I had to drive over an hour after work.

At the advice of my MD, I was avoiding wheat, dairy, beef, beans, ginger, sesame, grapes, cranberries, watermelon and cherries (I may have missed a couple things). Most things like chicken, pork, various fruits and vegetables-some I could have once a week, some I could have twice a week. In addition, I was taking B-vitamins, iron, Vit D, and a couple other vitamin combos (I don't have the names) and

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 10:15pm

I really can't help you... as I suffer from Crohns & know that it is a lifetime disease... unless they find a cure.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-31-2010 - 8:36am

Hi and welcome to the board!

I was not familiar with leaky gut, so did some searching on the 'net. There seems to be a lot of disagreement about the condition among alternative care types and no information at all from traditional medicine, which apparently doubts the existance of the syndrome.

Obviously there is something going on and you need to find a doctor that you are comfortable with, as it is likely to be a long haul finding the best approach for you.

I wish I could be of more help. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

Photobucket