Introducing...birth story & pix-long

iVillage Member
Introducing...birth story & pix-long
Sun, 10-22-2006 - 1:16pm

Maytal Tamar! Birth weight—7 lbs 13 oz, 21” 5:05 am 10/12/06
Maytal means “abundant dew—Hebrew, Tamar means palm tree in Hebrew.
As the story unfolded, I found myself 5 days past my due date, and in dire need of some personal time. The last few weeks of 4 kids being sick in the house, keeping up with everyone’s needs, made me realize how exhausted and stressed out I really was. I had made arrangements with a pregnancy massage doula to come to my home on Wed, Oct 11 at noon for an acupressure & pregnancy massage. The 1.5 hours she kneaded me from head to toe with special emphasis on the pressure points to stimulate the uterus were pure pleasure. The results were instant, I noticed my first true uterine cramp within the first hour after she left. Contractions started picking up regularly and by 3:30 I felt that early labor was ON! I had to take DD Esther and my 3 boys in tow to a 4 pm ortho appt and felt nervous about going out with the contrax coming 5 minutes apart. We came back at 5 pm and the contrax were still coming. I hung out at home and then feeling comfortable with the labor, I went out to the health food coop at 6:30 to get some items I still wanted for postpartum and to attend a Burts Bees seminar. I went with my Mom and Esther, and felt the contrax still coming 5 min. apart. I made it fine through the seminar, got a gift bag full of Burt Bees samples and got home by 8 pm. I ate a little light dinner at home and just hung out at the computer for a few hours, too excited to sleep. At 11 pm, I considered filling up the Aquadoula but figured I probably would sleep for hours and wouldn’t need it until the morning. I ended up taking a warm bath and got ready for bed. I finally drop into bed at midnight and fall asleep…for 5 minutes. Every 5 minutes I woke up to contrax that were getting more intense. I woke up Michael (DH) at 1 am and told him to call the midwife and start getting the pool filled. I went into the bathtub to wait it out but the water had cooled off a lot and I now found the bathtub absolutely the worst place to be since I needed full immersion and warm water. There was a problem getting the sink adaptor to work with the hose, burning hot water was spraying out of the connection!! My DH had it working on the dry run a week ago but now it was failing to connect properly. I stayed calm even though I was totally ticked off and came up with the idea to try the shower head instead and that was a blessed connection!! It took about 30 minutes or so to get the pool half filled and I couldn’t wait to jump in. The warm water took the edge off my contrax and I was able to really relax in between the contrax and focus on the increasing intensity of the waves. At 2:15 am the first midwife came, got her stuff all set up, checked on me, took note of the baby’s heartbeat and went down to sleep for a while. The 2nd midwife who lives about an hour away, arrived sometime later, popped in around 3 am to say hi and went back downstairs. I labored alone with Michael for about an hour, it was really perfect just having him there. I was starting to have really hard back labor and he was doing a great job with counterpressure on the back muscles. I found relief with the back labor since it was giving my uterus a well needed break. My contrax never got too close together but they were starting to double dip where they would just start, wane a bit for a second or two and then come back full force for a long while. (I had a couple that did this as a triple dip near the end!!) I was breathing through most of the contrax but then I felt compelled to get some sounds coming out to release some of the energy I felt within. My midwives came up at just the right time. It may have been around 4 am or so when one of them woke up, heard me upstairs getting more vocal, and joined us in the room. She could feel that the baby’s head was totally engaged, which was so great to know since my baby was transverse and flipping around through the last weeks of my pregnancy. I got out of the tub and found comfort rocking on my exercise ball, leaning into my DH for support. My water started slowly leaking and soon I started feeling an urge to push slightly with each contrax. Every time I did this more water would gush and then about 15 minutes later, the whole bag came out. It was really great letting nature work itself out. When I’ve had Obs & CNMs break them in the past it never seemed right with me either physically or mentally. Everything with this labor seemed natural and peaceful and despite the physical discomfort at times, I felt very safe and unrushed. I was getting more and more closed out to everyone as the pain was increasing so I went back into the warm nurturing waters of the tub, I had music (Enya and Lorena McKennit) on in the background which became my main focal point as I labored through each contrax with my eyes closed. I still didn’t think I was in transition and started to feel really uneasy with everything which made me realize I probably was in transition since that’s when most women start doubting themselves. I asked for my first internal at about 4:45 and learned I was fully dilated with just a teeny lip!! I started to stand up and could feel the baby moving downward. No position was working too well for me at this point and the one position I could tolerate, hands/knees, was not so great on the baby’s hb. The baby was doing better when I sat back on my butt and that wasn’t working for me. I needed gravity force. I was making really funny sounds, sort of like laughing and hoo hoo sounds, all I kept thinking was to keep my mouth loose, and the sounds were making my MWs laugh. I really just wanted the baby out and whatever I had to do to make that happen, I just let myself be uninhibited. Close to 5 am I felt the unforgettable burning, and I knew that the baby was going to crown soon. I got back into a hands knees position and started feeling the urge to push. In about 10 fast minutes, what seemed like maybe 3 or 4 pushes, her head was out. My 2 MWs were both working on my perineum with massage to stretch it out while all this was going on and soon after the head came out(no ring of fire since they were massaging me) the rest of her body slid out in the water at 5:05 am. I sat there awed by the whole experience, my body was still reeling with adrenalin. I was in a peaceful yet very perceptive state of mind. I physically felt amazing, it was so great to have my sweet baby in my arms. There was so much emotion in that birth room right then, the music of Enya was playing in the background, the rain was falling outside, it was still dark. Everyone was quiet and just looking at the baby and we finally looked to see if she was a girl or boy. I had a feeling we were having a girl and was pleasantly surprised when it was confirmed. We waited a while to cut the cord till it stopped pulsing, and I delivered the placenta about 10 minutes later in the pool. I wanted out of the water then and just as I got out of the pool, I saw ALL 6 of my children standing at the doorway of the birthroom. How they all knew to get up then, nobody had time to wake them up! It was really something that they were able to catch the mood we had in the room just then. They saw the beauty of homebirth and their baby sister within minutes of her arrival into the world--a priceless experience!! I was so happy to go right from the tub, to my own bed and just curl up and cuddle with my precious baby. I nursed her right away and she knew just what to do. After an hour or so, and 2 meconium poops, she was put on a heating pad and looked over, weighed and measured by the MWs. The MWs left my home at around 10 am. There’s nothing like resting after childbirth in your own bed, with your family, your own food and your own bathroom all close by!! I was amazed how fast everything went and how my body worked this baby out without any intervention,.as I’ve always known it would and could if given the opportunity!! (Even with my waterbirth for my 6th baby in the hospital, my OB was rushing me throughout the labor which ended up being 16 hrs in the hospital, no doubt because I was under stress just being there. He had also tried to break the water and ended up cutting my baby’s head and NOT breaking through the water anyways. She had to be in NICU for 2 days of monitoring since she swallowed so much blood in utero that I suspect had to do with the puncture Mr. Ob made which most likely let blood in that she swallowed.) This was a most awesome birth and a reminder of how strong we women can be when we trust ourselves!!
http://JeanineMichael.photosite.com/

Jeanine

Edited 10/22/2006 3:15 pm ET by jeeacay
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 2:32am

Jeanine,

What a beautiful family you have, Maytal is such a pretty newborm. :)

Congrats and take care of yourself,

Melissa

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 10:06am
Jeanine, thank you for sharing your wonderful birth experience! You have a beautiful family! Best to you all - for a healthy and happy year ahead,
Ginger
mom to Isobel8, Troy6, Nico4, Sterling2, and overdue little bean (Aeife or Lochlan Duir)
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 11:07am
What an awesome birth story! I absolutely love the pictures. Thank you for the reminders of how wonderful homebirth is compared to the hospital! --Liz,#6 edd Halloween

Thanks to Andrea and Toiny for my gorgeous sigs!
iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 3:07pm

Aw, Jeanine, what a great story! Congrats on the birth of Maytal!

He's such a cute baby -- it looks like he resembles your other kids, huh? You have a really beautiful family!

And I love that you pulled a McGuyver while you were in labor. Priceless!

Take care,
RPS

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 3:36pm

Hi RPS--don't let the blue hat fool you-it was the 1st one the MWs pulled out of the bag when SHE was born. I wasn't sure if I was having a girl or boy so I had mostly gn stuff in there and the blue hat, LOL. I'm still trying to figure who she looks like, she resembles a little bit of each of the other kids. In the family shot, 2 of my kids were "photo shy"--the 3 yr old and the 5 yr old. I have still yet to get a picture of all the kids together, it's hard to get them all in one place.
OK--I'm gonna seem really dumb but whats "pulling a McGuyver"? : )

Jeanine

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 6:08pm
What a beautiful baby and family! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your new one.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-23-2006 - 11:32pm

OMG, I'm so sorry! Can I blame it on a lack of sleep? SHE is gorgeous! I think she looks like your little girl in the pink overalls, but that's based only on a couple of pics. I hope you'll be able to round up all the kids for a group shot.

Pulling a McGuyver referred to your figuring out to hook the hose to the shower! McGuyver was always doing stuff like detonating a bomb using only a credit card and a toothpick. I could just picture the one who fixed the hose being the one person in the room having contractions! =)

RPS

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-24-2006 - 6:23am
It was making me cringe, all that precious hot water spurting everywhere but in the hose going to the pool. I was in a really desperate way--I told DH he was going to have to start bringing buckets of hot water to the pool. The real story behind the story, the MWs didn't show us how there were 2 parts to the heater. They gave us one part in the bag with the pump to drain out the water and they handed the 2nd part to us weeks ago. DH never knew the right way to set it up and told me the heater didn't work so we never filled it up right away...didn't want the water to cool off. If we had known that the heater worked, I would have filled that pool up during the day and used it for early labor not just for the final few hours. At least it all worked out well and it seems funny now that it's all over.
Jeanine
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-26-2006 - 1:13pm
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep us updated!
Beth