"Misha's" Happy Homebirth (Cross-post)

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-12-2006
"Misha's" Happy Homebirth (Cross-post)
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 5:10am

-cross post from October 2006 expecting club)

Hi everyone! It's been forever, but I've been busy. Up for a midnight feeding and decided to stop by and announce the birth of our dear baby "Misha" (her new internet handle... since we're staying anonymous :-) This was my first baby and here is her story.

I started having contractions about every 10 to 15 minutes at 3:00 a.m. on October 19th. This was a special day, the holiest day of the Muslim year. My husband is a Muslim so that was really great that it was on that day.

Because my midwife said only call if they're regular at five minutes and at least 45 seconds each, I just walked through them and slept in between (as much as possible) until about 8:00 a.m. We prepared the birthing bed since I was going to have her in the living room, the warmest room in our house. My husband was still sleeping.

At 8:00 a.m. I called the midwife. She said great, keep doing what you are doing, and call me when they get regular or this afternoon. The contractions stayed the same, though, so I didn't call until around 1:00 p.m. to inform her of the lack of progress. It was a working day so she still told me, good, keep walking through it, this could be it. I had already vomited twice from the intensity of the contractions. It was partly to relieve pressure, since the pain was gone by the time I was sick. She advised some homeopathic supplements to regularize the contractions, but I didn't want to interfere with nature so I didn't take them right away.

At around 3:00 p.m. the contractions started to get a lot more intense, although not much more regular. The intensity convinced me that maybe I needed to get the show on the road or do something to relax. We still hadn't set up the birth tub. I took the supplements and promptly had another contraction and vomited them up. My mom suggested I take a hot bath so I did. I thought I might have a glass of wine to relax a bit.

At this point, while walking to the bathroom, I had another contraction... and another while undressing... and another when in the tub... and another when getting out quickly as my mother said she wanted to call the midwife and wasn't about to leave me in there. They weren't even worth timing- they were at least 30 seconds each but right on top of one another. My dear husband had been up in the morning but was still napping at that time.

At 4:00 p.m. Mom called the midwife who said she'd be over to check on me. The contractions got more and more intense. The pain was worse than I expected- it was just accompanied by this intense, incredible pressure that made it hard to breathe into them. I was on the bed dealing with these every-one-minute contractions by sitting on my hands and knees, rolling my pelvis and kind of moaning.

After about one hour of this I felt like I wanted to push. The midwife still wasn't there (we live in a very rural area so it takes a long time to get places). I asked my mom to call again and asked if I could push. She got my husband up and they both started pressing on my back as they'd shown us in the childbirth class. That releived a lot of the pressure and I could feel that the pain was minimal, just like a little period cramping.

I really wanted to push. Mom called the midwife and told her to go ahead and break the speed limit, if possible.

At about 5:00 the midwife arrived. I remember greeting her, "Hello, M*, how are you? Can I push?" To my relief, she said, go ahead and try if you think it will make you feel better. There was practically no time in between contractions for her to take my blood pressure or give the cervical exam, but after she'd checked those and the baby's perfect little heart rate, she said, "You're ready to push the baby out."


I started pushing and immediately wanted to stand. We didn't have a stand or a rope for me to pull on so instead I used my beloved husband. I was facing him, squatting down, and pulling on him while he stood there and supported me. Later my mom said he was like an oak tree.

Somewhere in here, the midwife's assistant arrived.

You could see the baby's head right away which wasn't a surprise since I'd been at -1 station even a whole week before giving birth. However I think the midwife sensed that my pushing wasn't as effective as it could be, so she took me to the toilet and told me to pee and push out like I was going to poop. This relaxes a lot of women and you really get the sense of where to push from. Worked for me- I had about three effective pushes that way and then they took me back into the living room with my sweet husband the oak tree, where I pushed for I guess another 45 minutes or so, mainly standing up holding on to my dear husband.

When it came time to push, I was still kind of breathing out the pressure, like you would for a contraction. But they told me to stop breathing it out and start grunting and moving with the pressure. I mainly grunted but one of my gunts sounded like "no, no" because it was so intense and I didn't want it to continue. The midwife told me, "yes, yes!" so I started yelling, "baby, come out! come out! come out!" My husband teased me since I'd been telling him not to scold or yell at our baby just the week before. "Don't yell at my baby!" he said. I wasn't in the mood for a joke but I got it later on. After that, though, I just grunted.

Right before I was finished, I felt a horrible, horrible ripping pain up near the hood of my vagina. It was awful because I hadn't known you could feel pain there and it was right near my clitoris! I was surprised and that made it much worse. I shreiked- though I'd yelled and groaned before, that was my first scream. The midwives got a warm compress and put it on the front of my vulva where I felt tearing. I had to give it one more push and I did and I felt baby's head come all the way out, and then the body slithered out afterwards. It was 6:42 in the evening.

She gave a lusty little cry right away and they let me lay down. My legs were shaking and they put her right on me, where she raised up her little beautiful head and started to come towards me to nurse. Someone asked if it was a boy or a girl and I picked her up- I was so happy to see a little vulva there! "Devochka!" I said, to my husband, in Russian ("a girl!"). It was what we'd hoped for. She laid with me and my husband for awhile while the midwives gave us a quick looking over to check our vital signs. I bled a lot at the beginning so they gave me a shot of pitocin to start the uterus contracting. They checked the tear but it was tiny- it felt bigger because I wasn't expecting it. I didn't need any stiches. All was soon well so they wiped up the baby a bit and put blankets on me and a pad underneath me and left us there to bond awhile. They made me pee so that I wouldn't need a catheter, but the pee burned my vagina so badly that I had to put lydocaine on it to relax.

It was wonderful. She was 20 inches long, 7 lbs 2 oz, with a head circumfrence of 13 inches. The midwives gave her the agreed treatments and finished up their paperwork and left at around midnight. We slept there on the birth bed (which had been prepared with a sheet of plastic right over a second layer of clean sheets) with our dear Misha the first night, all together on the floor.

The midwife came by the next day and then again three days later. We got all the papers and I learned that baby's Apgar was nine at one minute and 10 at five. We just had her 7 - 10 day well-baby check up and the doctor said she was "perfect". She had already re-gained her birth weight by three days old, and at this visit she was up to 7 lbs 5 oz. She is truly my good little girl. I'll see the midwife again next week.

I am so happy and proud of my dear wee baby. Thanks to all of you for your prayers and kind thoughts, and for listening to my story.

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-06-2005
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 1:00pm

Congrats on baby "Misha." I love that you also posted your birth story in detail. It helps out us first time moms so we know what to expect, and what we might also try during our labors. Thanks.


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-04-2004
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 1:21pm

Wonderful story!

jess-2-1.gif picture by brazenladyj
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2006
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 2:55pm
Congratulations, and welcome baby! Thank you for sharing your birth story. I'm so glad that things went well! --Liz, #6 edd Halloween

  Thanks to Andrea and Toiny for my gorgeous sigs!
Avatar for em_sing
iVillage Member
Registered: 03-26-2003
Sat, 10-28-2006 - 3:46pm

Congratulations Izobelle!! What a fantastic story!. And wow, our baby girls were exactly the same size for weight, leangth and head. How funny!

Enjoy that sweet baby girl, I know I'm loving mine!! Congrats again.

Emily, William, 5/30/03, and Baby Girl, due 10/23/06

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker

Weaned at 24.5 months. Gently, but with a little encouragement.

Daisypath Ticker

Emily with William, 5/30/03, and Kathryn, 10/25/06

Lilypie - Personal picture

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-12-2006
Sun, 10-29-2006 - 4:49am
Hi Em! I must have missed your announcement. Congratulations on a "perfect" baby. ;-)