Micheal is here!

iVillage Member
Registered: 05-07-2006
Micheal is here!
Thu, 12-07-2006 - 12:16pm

At 40 weeks, 2 days Micheal Justin made his arrival 11/26 at 1:29 am. He was 8lb 14oz and 22 ½ inches long. It was our 4th homebirth.

Saturday morning when I went to the bathroom I had a glob of bloody mucous. I was so happy to see a “sign” of upcoming labor. Nothing else happened during the day except more show once at noon and once that evening. I started having some contractions at about 6 pm but I still wasn’t sure if it was the real deal since I had been having somewhat regular contractions at night for at least a week and they always stopped when I went to bed. At 9:30 I decide to go to bed and see if my contraction would once again stop. I decided to call my midwife and give her a heads up that I may be calling her again later. About 11:00 I decided the contractions were not going to slow down or stop so I called my midwife and told her go ahead and come over. I layed down on my side and started drinking Emergen-C. (I have heard vitamin C can help with labor pains) I labored on my side because my midwife almost missed my last birth, so I wanted to avoid gravity action this time. I was curled up to my husband who was reading. Sounds silly that he was reading but I liked it, it was quiet and I just felt like lying there real still and breathing. I didn’t really need coaching but I did send him for a straw and more Emergen-C when I wanted, oh and chap-stick.:o) I had to get up and go pee about 3rd or 4th contraction. This labor went so well I am still in awe over it. I continued to breathe deep during my contractions and was able to stay on top of them even during transition. When they seemed like they were starting to get the best of me I would chant to myself, “it is just a wave, we are just opening up”, and I was able to get through it. In between contractions I was able to let out some tension in my hands, feet, and legs. I was doing so well that I was sure when my midwife arrived she would tell me I was only dilated to 6 or something but then I started to feel shaky so I wondered if I was in transition or not? My midwife still hadn’t arrived because she lives quite a distance away. It was about 1 am when I felt my water break and I told my husband. I just felt things were going to change, I asked my husband if the water was clear and he said it was and I had him call my midwife’s cell phone but, thankfully, she had just pulled in the driveway. I had one more contraction then I wanted to get up off my side. I got up on my knees and finally put my husband to work. He stood by the side of the bed and I put my arms around his neck. Things did get way more intense when I got upright and I wanted to push right away and push I did! That first contraction was my least controlled of my entire labor. My midwife reminded me not to pop the baby out but to slow down and breathe. I don’t remember what she said to me but the jist was to get a hold of myself, LOL. I really don’t like the pushing stage. The only thing I like about it is that I am there and I know labor will be over soon. Unlike some women who describe it as a relief, I find it just as hard as transition. This time I found it harder than transition was. Anyhow, I was able to start pushing in a more controlled way and soon I could feel him crowning and I slowed down my pushing a bit more. A couple more contractions and his head was out I had to wait for him to rotate and then I pushed out his shoulders. Whew, I was filled with relief that it was over and I thanked Jesus. The midwife wouldn’t say what it was when I finally looked down I said, “he has a penis!” LOL They put him on my lower abdomen but his cord was to short to nurse him. After the cord was done pulsing they cut it and I tried to nurse but I was in an awkward position and was very shaky. So he had to wait until I managed to rearrange myself but when he was able to nurse he latched right on and has been a champion nurser ever since! They checked me and I didn’t have any tears. After he nursed a bit I took a shower and cleaned up and the midwife did the baby checks. Then we all went to bed. Micheal was good and snoozy but I still didn’t sleep well because I had to keep poking him. ;0) We are all doing good now. I feel back to normal with the exception of tiredness. I was well pampered for a few days!

#5 Micheal Justin born at home 11/26

Avatar for lindsay3480
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-20-2003
Thu, 12-07-2006 - 8:17pm
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Registered: 10-04-2004
Fri, 12-08-2006 - 12:59am

Congratulations Deanna, what a beautiful sounding birth, it's the kind of birth story that inspires me to "do it again!".

jess-2-1.gif picture by brazenladyj
iVillage Member
Registered: 06-21-2005
Fri, 12-08-2006 - 4:18pm
That's a simply lovely story, thanks for sharing.


iVillage Member
Registered: 05-31-2003
Sat, 12-09-2006 - 12:12am

Congratulations on the birth of your son! I like the reminder "it is

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 02-24-2006
Mon, 12-11-2006 - 9:50pm
Congratulations on #5! Thank you for sharing your wonderful homebirth story. I can totally relate to the pushing contractions kind of being out of control initially. I was in control until I had to push, and then I pushed way to fast, but luckily everything worked out. Congratulations again! --Liz, proud mommy of 5 boys and 1 girl, the last 3 born at home

  Thanks to Andrea and Toiny for my gorgeous sigs!