VBAC homebirth stories, please!!!

iVillage Member
VBAC homebirth stories, please!!!
Wed, 01-10-2007 - 10:23am

Hello everyone. My name is Meliea and I am expecting in early august. I have two children, 16yo girl and 9yo boy. I am 35 years old. My first was a vaginal birth and my second was a c-section for failure to progress. That whole birth experience was no less than traumatic. I was not prepared for C-section recovery and the associated pain. On top of that, I had a reaction to the epidural which caused me to shake violently so I could not hold my baby. Then, it was almost 12 hours until I got to finally see or hold him after that because the hospital policy was that they had to stay in the nursery until the pediatrician made rounds(he was very late). I was too weak and in pain to fight for myself. The last straw, in the hospital I apparently contracted strep throat which I took home with me so I had a 5 day old baby and was SO ill and in pain. I just knew I would die.

I had a wonderful friend that I met shortly after that who birthed all 6 of her children at home. Her experiences were wonderful. I swore if I ever had another baby, that I would look into homebirth. Of course, that was 8 years ago. I thought I was done having children, until this little surprise.

We are meeting with a midwife next Monday to talk and ask questions. I have informed my doctor, who is pretty cool, that we are thinking about this. Midvives who do not are not CNM's and don't practice under a doctor(who only delivers in hospitals) aren't technically legal here in NC. She wasn't offended, but she did tell me that she felt obligated to let me know that I have a 1% chance of uterine rupture and that if it were to happen, we probably wouldn't make it to her in time to save my uterus and that things could be fatal for both me and the baby. In her 12 years of practice, she has seen one rupture and it was almost fatal so I guess that stands out in her mind. It is a scary thought.

I would love to hear about some VBAC experiences from some ladies who have homebirthed. Please share your stories.

Meliea

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 01-10-2007 - 11:14pm

I'm planning my HBAC also so I can't say first hand. We have the same situation here in Illinois and I choose to go with an DEM based on lots of experience with VBAC. I'm really looking forward to a peaceful delivery after a very traumatic cesarean. I just happened to have this website bookmarked, so in case you hadn't seen it http://www.nchomebirth.com/. It's great to read HBAC stories, places like birthdiaries.com and empoweredchildbirth.com. On uterine rupture, rates for unmedicated births are less than 1% and most of those are not castostrophic rupture. I know several people that have been through it and they have had sometimes hours to get help after the first signs. It's important to keep a keen eye out for the signs of course. I think the safest option is to have a care provider who is 100% focused on me and not dividing their time between 20 people.

Jeska

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-11-2007 - 12:38pm

Welcome to the board, Meliea! Here is my HBAC story.... (BTW we are planning for our 2nd HBAC sometime in April:))

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-pphomebirth/?msg=4835.1

~Christina~
VBAC Support

~Christina~