update on my baby with echogenic bowel

iVillage Member
update on my baby with echogenic bowel
Wed, 01-17-2007 - 10:56am
Well, I found out that the cause of my baby's echogenic bowel is probably the fact that I recently had a Primary CMV infection. So, there is a 40% chance I will or already have passed the infection to the baby. (If it is the cause of the bowel problems, then obviously she is infected.) Then, if she is infected, these are the chances of problems that can occur: 10% of babies infected with CMV show symptoms at birth, and 80-90% of those babies have serious problems, like severe mental retardation, or death. Of the 10% who don't show symptoms, 5-15% will develop problems over the first 2 years of life, ranging from hearing or vision loss, to learnign disabilities, and varying degrees of mental retardation. There is no treatment for CMV, except for an experimental study using Cytogam. There was one study done in Italy and it proved to be very beneficial to all the pregnant women who used it. It greatly reduced the chances of babies being born with, and developing problems from CMV disease. It is very new, not FDA approved for this use, and stil quite experimental and not extensively tested. I feel like it is my baby's only chance for treatment, though, so I am going to do it. I am getting the IV infusion this afternoon. Hopefully it will make a difference for my baby. Then I will have ultrasounds evry 4 weeks to see if the bowel problems are resolving, or any new problems are developing. I will have to change my delivery plans to a high-tech hospital with a NICU, and find an obstetrician to deliver my baby, and transfer out of the care of my midwife. So much for my homebirth! I just hope I can do whatever is best for my baby, and i know things will work out according to the will of God.
iVillage Member
Thu, 01-18-2007 - 1:12am

I hope that everything works out and your baby is FINE!

jess.gif picture by brazenladyj

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-20-2007 - 7:39pm
So sorry to hear that. Please keep us updated on how you and baby are. I hope the Cytogam treatment works. Hugs and prayers, Liz

Thanks to Andrea and Toiny for my gorgeous sigs!
iVillage Member
Sat, 01-20-2007 - 9:25pm
Well, I had the cytogam treatment on Wednesday and all has been well so far. I didn't have any reaction to it, other than a headache for the first 48 hours or so. I will have another ultrasound on Feb 2nd to see how it affected my baby. I feel like everything is going to work out well. The only problem now, is that I am having a horrible time trying to find an OB that I feel comfortable with. I had a horrible experience with an OB the other day, and I am angry and frustrated and don't know what I should do. It seems there are no good OBs in my county. I am thinking about going to Salt Lake County, which will be about a 30 minute drive, to see an OB there who comes highly recommended by my homebirth midwife and a lot of homebirthers I know as well. That sounds like it may be the best choice, but then I will have to switch hospitals and drive farther for prenatals and when I am in labor. There are still a couple drs I can try here in utah county but I wonder if it's worth it, and if i should just travel to salt lake county. Hopefully I will have that decided this next week for sure. Thanks for everyone's help.
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-28-2007 - 9:24pm
Hey Jess. CMV is CytoMegaloVirus. I don't know a lot about it. You could probably google. To the OP Good Luck. You'll be in my thoughts.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-03-2007 - 2:10pm
How did the US go yesterday? Were you able to find an OB you are comfortable with? How are you and baby doing?
--Liz

Thanks to Andrea and Toiny for my gorgeous sigs!