Eden Saqqara is here!

iVillage Member
Eden Saqqara is here!
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 7:49pm

She was born 2/28/07 (EDD 2/25/2007) at 10:58pm. 8 lbs 19 inches long.

My midwife told me months ago that if you take your temp. every morning then when it drops by a degree you know labor will start that day. Yesterday, 3 days past due my temp. was a degree lower, instead of 97.7 it was 96.8. I felt nothing all day and had decided it was all a lie.

About 3pm things started to change & I decided to take blue & black cohosh. You all know how nervous it made me but I thought if I was going to do it, I should commit & do it so I took 1 dropper of each in a shot glass 20 minutes apart for 2 hours. At 6:30 everything completely stopped and by 7:00 I cried because I was so frustrated as I had had so many false alarms over the last week. So I called my mom for support and while talking to her my water broke (at 7:40). I was having no contractions.

We called in the troops & at 9:19pm my midwife was there, I was having consistent contractions and I was 4 cent 75% effaced. I hate being on my back to be checked so that was the last time I was checked. It was encouraging that while my midwife was checking I had a contraction & she said she could feel the cervix stretching with the contraction. I labored on the birthing ball (my favorite), the couch, the bathroom counter (didn’t enjoy that or the toilet) and the arm of the couch. I moved about every 20 minutes and was only on each thing once, except the ball twice or three times.

I started shaking early on so my sister (my birth partner) and I got blankets & that helped. At about 10:30 I had my first truly intense contraction & we started doing breating together. After a few intense “waves” I felt like I was going to poop & knew it was on. I also felt lots of blood & fluid moving down & did NOT want it on my brand new carpet. So we had a big parade of people trying to get me to the bedroom with no leakage on the carpet.

Then I laid down on my left side in bed. That is where is gets sketchy. But I remember my support very well. My sister & I breathed very well this time. I guess the 5th child is when you finally can breath without hyperventilating.

Then at some point I said, “I hate this part,” because I knew the pushing was coming. It really is my favorite & least favorite. I’ve done it 3 times now & all 3 times as we face it I have the same thought, “now I have to do the hardest part all alone.” I don’t know why I feel that way since my team is still there & amazingly helpful but I still feel almost stranded at that point.

Anyway, I remember saying, “I can’t” & Cara telling me I could but I can’t remember what I couldn’t do. And then I looked at her & she had a tiny tear fall out of her right eye. I know this is weird but it just was nice. It gave me strength.

Then the pushing/not really pushing contractions started. At the hospital this is where they lay me on my back & rush around like maniacs getting things ready while I hold on to the metal bars fighting to keep eye contact with my sister to breath & not push. This time however Cara told me to push whenever I felt like it. I think there were 4 of those. The first one I pooped forever & had to tell them because my bottom was still covered with blankets. Then the next few I could feel Eden moving down but I was still on my left side & couldn’t hold my own legs up.

So I decided to get on all fours on the bed with 4 pillows supporting me as I was into the full length pushing contractions. I had read lots of homebirth stories where the women didn’t push, they just let their bodies do what came naturally, but I guess what comes naturally to me is to get this “stupid” baby out ASAP! I loved that position, though. It was very nice. As first everyone helped me moan but the reality is I like screaming so I just reverted back to it. It really does help me. Once I started screaming I felt more in control, not less. I felt her move with every push & got to relax on the pillows with the breaks.

Then the dreaded ring of fire. My midwife had told me it was my friend as long as I had it, I hadn’t torn. I actually pondered that while feeling it & may have even mentioned outloud that the stupid ring of fire was coming. However, her head went back in me for one little rest & I got a bit of relief from it & that really helped. (This is also where I heard Mom & Danielle trying to wake up Lex & Siena which made me internally smile.) The next contraction I pushed through the ring & everyone started forcefully saying, “Gently!” and I actually listened to them. Though I was pretty focused on at least getting to the neck. Once her face was out Marlene told me to slow it down & I did a little bit but with the next contraction her little body slithered right out & I collapsed on the pillows.

I couldn’t see her for a bit since I was faced the wrong way but eventually we got the cord disentangled so I could flip around. What a cutie!

So I went from 4 cent to a baby in an hour & a half.

It was incredible & I loved not being at the hospital. It went so smoothly from one thing to another with no waiting on other people or being checked for no reason. I could just go on & on but I think this was long enough!

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-01-2007 - 10:14pm

Congratulations on your newest bundle of joy! I hope that you and your family are settling into your new routine. Your story is encouraging as I'm waiting for when things begin with this next birth.

Welcome to the world, Eden Saqqara!

Sonya

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2007 - 12:17am

Congrats and wonderful birth story!

Melissa

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-02-2007 - 11:29am
Congratulations!!!! I am so happy for you that you had a wonderful birth experience! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a happy babymoon.
Tinchen
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-04-2007 - 10:36am

Congratulations! What a wonderful story! God is so good. Welcome to your beautiful little Eden. Enjoy these early days.

BTW, I always birth on my front side, too -- I've tried laying on my back and just can't do it (so far). I get down on the floor, on my knees, and lean over a 5-gallon bucket with a pillow on it. I miss seeing the baby right away, but it's soo much more comfortable for me (and it's all about me right then, right?! Lol ...)

Darla
= = = = = = = = = =
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-05-2007 - 5:33pm

Congratulations! Welcome Eden.

Désirée, mom to Steven, Juliana, Andrew, Carina, Michaela, and Daniel, ages 19 to 4, and all homebirthed - Hoping for a tiebreaker soon!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket 
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-13-2007 - 4:30pm

Congrats and welcome Eden! I loved the part about you moaning and then reverting to screaming-- LOL! Great story, thanks for sharing.

Jen