FTM Homebirth a Success!

iVillage Member
FTM Homebirth a Success!
Wed, 05-16-2007 - 9:30am

Hi all- I just posted for the 1st time last week, looking for others to share with... well... my baby came over the weekend! I was 36 weeks, 2 days. Below is the birth story I posted on the June 07 board. Good luck to you all planning a homebirth, and let me day- it was WONDERFUL! I am SO glad I went with my gut and decided on a homebirth for my first baby...

My birth story:

As many of you know, I posted on here yesterday when my water broke at 10am. I had BH all day but nothing strong. I was planning a homebirth, and my MW agreed that the baby was far along enough to have at home, which is how I wanted it. I was so happy. But nothing happened all day! So she told me to take 2 oz castor oil in a shake. I did around 3:30pm and nothing happened much til about 9:30pm. I threw up - and then started real ctx. I went to bed and tried to sleep in between them. At 1pm, they were stronger and like 3 minutes apart! So I canned MW and she came over. I was 2cm and about totally effaced. So, she went to sleep awhile and DH and I worked through my ctx with deep breathing and relaxation (thanks to my Hypnobirthing class- which I HIGHLY recommend).

About 3.5 hours later, I went to the bathroom and threw up and had diarrhea at once! AH! Poor DH. He held the bucket on my front end...sorry if this is TMI- but it's honest! So- then after that I started these crazy ctx where I felt like pushing and was kinda losing it, but still trying to breathe through them.. MW checked me and I was 8cm and very "sretchy." I HAD to push then, and she said it was fine. So I started do...but slowly. I didnt want to push too much for some reason, my body just told me not to.

Maybe an hour or so of pushing, which was intense and heck but felt like I was getting something done, and then she was born! No tearing at all, thank goodness! She needed a breath of O2 and was on her way. She stayed there on my chest for 2 hours after she was born, no harassment from MW other than getting O2 - when she was on my chest. She started breast feeding about 30 min after birth and is such a calm and sweet baby! She pretty much always falls asleep with the breast in her mouth, though, so she's not getting that much. Will have to work on that more...

Anyway- it was the most amazing experience of my life. I would recommend homebirth and Hypnobirth to anyone who is seriously wanting either or both. It felt great to have the baby in my living room... with dark and candles and trance music. It was a very peaceful birth. Except for my grunting when I was pushing. :)

Violet Harper was born at 5:56am MST as the sun rose over the Sangre de Cristos Mountains. She is 5 lb 14oz, 18 3/4" long. She's gorgeous, totally healthy, and very spunky, calm and alert.

Lilypie Expecting a baby PicLilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-16-2007 - 10:44am

Congratulations on your new baby girl! A great birth story, thanks for sharing. I love to read birth stories!

Mare

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-16-2007 - 11:49am
Congrats on your wonderful birth and healthy baby girl!

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-17-2007 - 1:04am

What a wonderful, inspirational story!

jess-2-1.gif picture by brazenladyj
iVillage Member
Tue, 05-29-2007 - 4:42pm

Congratulations, Allison! I just saw your post above and replied! I, too, live in New Mexico and have had three homebirths (all three of my babies). Good for you to go with your gut and have your first at home. too many women want a homebirth, but have a hopsital one, just because it is their first.

Enjoy your babymoon!

amy

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-29-2007 - 5:22pm

Hi Amy-

Seva is my midwife- she's the best!! I could not have asked for a better person to care for me and the baby. I am so lucky to have found her. :) Yay for New Mexico and homebirths! It is so worth it, and I am so glad I did it with the first baby- I know for sure that I will have the courage to do it with my next baby.

Where are you exactly - in Abq or SF or ?? Feel free to email me if you like- it's always great to make new friends in real life!

Allison

Lilypie 1st Birthday PicLilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-29-2007 - 6:13pm

I live in the East Mountains right outside of ABQ. I see in your post that the sun was rising over the Sangre de Cristo mountains. . .you must be north a bit?

My homebirths are something I will never forget and memories I cherish.

Take care and I am sure I will talk to you!

amy

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-13-2007 - 4:57pm
I LOVED reading your story. We just found we're expecting our first the end of February and have decided to have it at home with a midwife. Although the whole thing is a bit scarey right now at this point, I'm so thankful for wonderful people such as yourself, who share their experiences with us unexperienced!!