Home VBAC and 10 lb baby Langdon!

iVillage Member
Home VBAC and 10 lb baby Langdon!
Tue, 11-13-2007 - 8:13pm

Ladies, I am happy and proud to announce that Langdon Michael came into the world on Friday, November 9th, in a natural homebirth VBAC, weighing a whopping 10 lbs. 2 oz! Thumbs up to the midwives and the doula for their important part in an amazing success story.

Labor started Thursday night as mild cramps and continued through the night while I tried to sleep, but by morning contractions were coming 4 mins apart. I continued to keep busy between contractions, squatting during contractions as it helped. You will laugh, but I was determined to get that turkey roasted to go with the 5 pies I made the day before, because I had planned to have Thanksgiving dinner Friday, and when I knew I was in labor, I figured, get the turkey in now, DH can turn it and we will all eat turkey after the baby comes! And we did!

The midwives (I had two) were there by 10:30, and the doula by 11:00. Labor progressed very quickly, and he was out at 1:41 pm!

I had an inflatable birth/labor pool, but used it for labor until the pushing urge started, and then  I felt the need to get out and somehow make it upstairs to the bedroom where I pushed out my baby boy while kneeling. The kneeling/squatting position is probably what made it possible to pass a 10+lb baby through, with an arm coming out alongside the head, and only sustained minor tearing which the midwife deftly stitched afterward. Our 3-year-old DD was there, coaching me all the time, saying it would be alright, patting my arm! She was so sweet, and wasn't the least bit frightened, thanks to the homebirth books for children we read to her, and to the calm, loving support of the midwives and doula.

The pushing stage was short, and very intense, and I dimly heard my sweet DD saying excitedly "I see the bag!" when my amniotic sac crowned still unbroken, and then "I see the baby!" not long after that. He was born "en caul', meaning with an intact amniotic sac coming out even as his head did, but it broke moments later and he started a healthy squalling with just his head out. The midwife gently assisted his chunky hips to come out after, and then I was staring down at an amazingly pink, healthy big baby boy covered in vernix and some blood, with the cord still connecting us, down between my knees. His head was perfectly round! Apparently the squatting/all fours position really did give me the extra pelvic room, and the cushioning of the intact amniotic sac gave him that perfectly round, unmolded head.

I scooped him up at put him to my breast as he coughed a few times to clear himself. Then I got in bed still holding him while the midwives steadied me, and the rest is history! The doula got pictures of everything, including Big Sister holding him for the first time, so proud.

All of this was possible because of the midwives who actually trust birth and the power of woman's body to give it. I gave birth vaginally (my first ever vaginal delivery, by the way!) after previous c/sec, without drugs or medical interventions, to a healthy, perfect, squalling 10 pound boy, in my own home and according to my own preferences, and my body knew the best way to get the job done! It was and is the best choice I ever made.

http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd109/crunchymamamaine/000_0882.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

-Meg, wife to a wonderful USPS Postal Carrier, and proud mother of a preschooler DD and born-at-home DS!

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingPhotobucket - Video and Image HostingDevNatbirth.gifthhomebirthmama.gif image by shortstuff31117Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-13-2007 - 11:01pm

Meg,
Congrats again! You are so amazing! I can't believe how big that baby boy is! My midwife delivered a 13 lb 11 oz baby at a home birth a couple months ago. I'm just in awe of what the female body can do! You rock!

Ah, home birth...what a wonderful experience!?!?

Becca & Baby Elisabeth Katheryn EDD 11.18 arrived 11.10
Becca & Baby Elisabeth Katheryn EDD 11.18 arrived 11.10 via home birth

Check out Baby Elisabeth's website for photos, blogs, and more: http://web.mac.com/becca.c/iWeb/Baby

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2007 - 9:48am

Congratulations Meg!!!!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2007 - 11:16pm

Congratulations - wow what a big baby!!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2007 - 12:58pm
Congratulations to you!! What a wonderful experience :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Fall2007

savedbyfaith

Theresa

Mama to two girls; birth choice and breastf

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2007 - 7:05pm

Wahoo! Congratulations! it's always a thrill to read birth stories of babies born at home! Glad your experience was such a good one, and that all are doing well.

God bless,
Darla

Darla
= = = = = = = = = =
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-24-2007 - 10:50pm

Wow, thank you for sharing your hbac! You inspire me and help build my confidence in what my body can to as well. I am not yet pregnant but planning a hbac next time. Love your blinkies too! Congratulations and cheers to your proven pelvis!

sav

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2007 - 10:02am

Thank you! It's nice to hear a cheer for our side!

As for the "proven pelvis" thing, I firmly believe every pelvis should be assumed innocent until proven guilty. It amazes me how women are singled out for suspicion of genetic unfitness... imagine if men were told constantly that they had to undergo a series of

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-30-2007 - 10:23pm

LOL Meg I get you. I was totally being sarcastic about the "proven pelvis," I too am a member of ICAN. I agree with everything you said and hope you didn't really think that I thought that "proven pelvis" thing has any validity. Do you post on the ICAN discussion email list? There are so many people there that I wouldn't probably know you if I "saw" you there KWIM?

sav

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-02-2007 - 8:31pm

CONGRATULATIONS MEG!!!! What a wonderful birth, and what a blessing your son will be to your family!

Blessing #5 due 4/19/08
~Homeschooling, homebirthing mother of 5~
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 4:56pm

AMEN and AMEN!!!

Do you hear the rousing applause and thunderous cheering???

I nearly

~Homeschooling, homebirthing mother of 5~

Pages