Elisabeth Katheryn's home birth story

iVillage Member
Elisabeth Katheryn's home birth story
Tue, 11-13-2007 - 10:57pm

Elisabeth Katheryn made her arrival Saturday, November 10th, at 10:59pm at our home weighing 8 lbs 1 oz, measuring 20 1/4 inches long, with a 13 inch noggin!

Read on for the long story :).....

I woke up Saturday morning around 7 with mild contractions, and went back to sleep....when I awoke again at 8:30, I decided to time a few before my husband woke up, and they were 7-8 minutes apart. We decided to go on with our day thinking that this was probably nothing more than pre-labor, which could go on for a few days. My husband proceeded to busy himself with chores while I took a brief nap. He later headed out to mow the lawn as I contracted along oblivious to the fact that I was in real labor, LOL! He came in the house around 5pm and said he was going to get more gas for the lawn mower, and I told him that he needed to stay home! The contractions were becoming more intense, but we were still discussing the dinner date we had made earlier in the week (we had made plans for dinner and a movie - this was to be our "last" date :)). At some point around 6pm, I decided that I was in no shape to go out to dinner, and as a matter of fact, I didn't want him leaving to get take out either, so he went ahead and ordered a pizza. At some point while we're waiting for the pizza to arrive, he asked if I needed him to call the midwife, to which I replied, "No, it's too soon and I don't want to bother her." Well, it wasn't long after that that he decided he needed the midwife for support :). The midwife's assistant arrived around 7:30pm - right around the time that my contractions started to become very painful in my back due to Elisabeth being posterior. I was practicing my best war cry with each contraction, which greatly helped to "get the pain out," although I figured the neighbors or the pizza guy were going to call the cops! I labored on hands and knees with the birth ball while waiting for my midwife. She arrived at 8 after skipping out on a date night with her husband :), and when she performed my cervical check at 8:15 my water bag spontaneously burst all over her...in her fancy dinner clothes, LOL! I immediately jumped off the bed and onto hands and knees in the floor for the next contraction - the most painful of all! From there, I labored in the bathtub (the birthing pool was being assembled by my husband) for an hour and a half. At this point I had become in control of the back labor and was in my "zone," so my midwife had me move to the bed to rest for a while. (What I didn't know was that I was only 3 cm dilated when she did the vag exam at 8:15, so she expected it to be MANY more hours before we were ready to push.) Well, as soon as I got in the bed I had a strong desire to poop...but after heading to the bathroom and nothing happening and the urge persisting, she did another vag exam. To everyone's disbelief, Elisabeth was already making her way out without me even pushing! I had dilated from 3 to 10 cm in that hour and a half in the tub! Within 20 minutes, and after 4 pushes, my husband helped deliver her shoulders, and I pulled her out and onto my chest! She was crying before I had completely pushed her out! It's ironic that the one way I thought would be the most uncomfortable to deliver was the way I did - on the bed, flat on my back. The birthing tub never even had time to be filled. So, at 10:59pm, after a whirlwind labor, Elisabeth Katheryn made her debut. I had a very small tear in the inside "flap" of my vagina that required two stitches. Elisabeth rooted her way to my breast for her first feeding within minutes, and has been nursing like a champ ever since! After the placenta was delivered and the cord stopped pulsing, my husband was able to have the honor of cutting it.

Elisabeth is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and I love her more by the minute! I'm so happy with my decision to have a home birth, relieved to have been able to have her constantly with me, and proud that I did it despite the back labor and posterior baby.

Becca & Baby Elisabeth Katheryn EDD 11.18 arrived 11.10

Click here for pictures http://web.mac.com/becca.c/iWeb/iVillage/Elisabeth%27s%20Arrival.html

Becca & Baby Elisabeth Katheryn EDD 11.18 arrived 11.10 via home birth

Check out Baby Elisabeth's website for photos, blogs, and more: http://web.mac.com/becca.c/iWeb/Baby

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-14-2007 - 9:53am

Congratulations, Becca!!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2007 - 5:51pm

Congrats!! She is so cute! I had the same thing happen with my last birth I went from2cm to 10 in like 5 minutes! it is much better that way than a long drawn out labor!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-15-2007 - 7:06pm

Welcome, dear baby -- and congratulations to you, Mama! Good job! Thanks for coming here to tell your story -- it's such a joy to read the stories of others. Rest well!

God bless,
Darla

Darla
= = = = = = = = = =
iVillage Member
Sat, 11-17-2007 - 1:25pm

Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-24-2007 - 11:04pm

I enjoyed your birth story but couldn't see your pic's. What a great first birth, thanks for sharing with us. Congratulations.

sav

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-06-2007 - 10:51pm

Hi Sav,
I've updated the link to my website (below) if you'd still like to see pictures. There are lots of updates!

Thanks for reading my story :)!

Check out Baby Elisabeth's website for photos, blogs, and more: http://web.mac.com/becca.c/iWeb/Baby

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-07-2007 - 4:48pm

Congratulations on your homebirth!!

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 4:48pm

CONGRATULATIONS Becca!!! Thank you so much for sharing Elisabeth's birth with us! It sounds wonderful and empowering!

~Homeschooling, homebirthing mother of 5~