My Birth story...a little late

iVillage Member
My Birth story...a little late
Wed, 12-12-2007 - 1:20pm

Hi, i posted here when i was pregnant with my DD about my concerns of a home birth.

Well i decided to go ahead with it and it was the most wonderfully easy birth i have ever had.

Sep 16 2007, was due on the 18th and i had been a week late with my son so the midwife decided to to a membrane sweep in hopes that the baby would come on my due date and if not they would try again on the 20th if baby still had not arrived.

Sep 19, the baby had not come and i was due to go to the midwife early the next morning for another membrane sweep before talking about an induction ( i had been induced with my first DD and wanted to avoid this route at all cost). In a last attempt effort i asked SO to get me some castor oil. I was pretty affraid to take it so i only had maybe a teaspoon.

I took the castor oil at 5pm, by 7pm nothing had happened so i decided to just take a shower, i jsut sat around till 9pm and just felt a little nausious so i decided to turn in early and asked SO to put our kids to bed. By 10:30pm SO came into the room and told me he would be back he's just gonna go to his friends house for an hour (he just got a new car and wanted to show it off). I told him that i just felt sick and maybe he should just stay home and go tomorrowm he agrees and then came to bed and rubbed my back till i fell back asleep.

11:08pm i woke up to a cramp, I thought "well now the castor oil is kicking in" so went to the bathroom to presumably do a #2 but there was nothing, a few seconds later another cramp, by this time i still just figured i has to #2 then SO came to the washroom to ask if i was ok and i had another cramp, he asked if i was in labour and thats when it hit my that they were probobly contractions but they werent painfull just uncomfortable, then i had a bigger one, i suddenly put my hands down there and felt like a water balloon sticking out, that when i told him to call the midwife, i told her i think the head is coming out but i think she thought that i was in pain and exagerating.

I told SO that the baby was comeing now and he actually said "ok i'll got get the car" Im crowning and he wants to get the car lmao. I told him that there was no time. In his defence i did not look liek i was in labour and was pretty calm so he had no idea how fast the baby was comeing until i layed on the bed and he could see the head comeing out, my water broke as her head came out, i barely had to push. SO was in a panick and tried to call 911 but could not remember the # as cliche as that is. I just laughed an told him to catch her, she popped out on the next contraction, i told him to put her on my chest and towel her off, she cried immediatly, he then called 911 but could not remember the address lol men. Avaiya Victoria was born at 11:25pm so 17 minutes or labour Weighing 8lbs 2oz, 21 inches

We didn't clamp or cut the cord until after the paramedics arrived. The 10 minutes before everyone arrived was the best time i have ever felt. just SO me and the baby on the bed. Then the circus began with the paramedics and then the midwives showed up. SO called my aunts because the paramedics are supposed to take you to the hospital if the midwives arent present and i had my DD and DS in the next room still sound asleep, so they came up(they lives 2 floors down). So there were the medics the fire department my 2 aunts and then the midwives showed up. Soon after everyone but the midwives left and i took a shower while they did thier usual newborn tests. I got to nurse and she was such a hungry baby.. Her poor face was pretty swolllen and bruised, they said that happens sometimes when they come so quick but all in all it was a pretty quick and painless birth and i was soo happy i decided to do it at home.

Thanks for reading

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

thekiddies.jpg picture by lowry_a

AJ.jpg picture by lowry_a

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2007 - 3:16pm

Congrats!!! I'm wishing mine will be that quick and easy (although maybe not so my poor DH doesn't end up freakin out)

"SO was in a panick and tried to call 911 but could not remember the # as cliche as that is." That had me lol!! Sounds like something that could for sure happen in my house.

Genevieve - Enjoying every day with her sweetpea Sareen!!

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2007 - 6:47pm

OmG! That is by far the funniest birth story I've read yet! And I thought my labor was fast at 3 hours!

I'm confused though, were you planning to use your midwife at for a home or hospital birth? I was just wondering why you called the paramedics if your midwife was on her way.

Great story!!!

Becca

Check out Baby Elisabeth's website for photos, blogs, and more: http://web.mac.com/becca.c/iWeb/Baby

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-12-2007 - 6:59pm
I had planned a homebirth but my midwife advised me to call the paramedics if i ended up having the baby unassited just in case i guess. Because my previous labours were quick (2 hours for first baby 1 for the second) they suspected that i would go quickly, and i am the rare type who honestly can't tell when im in labour, my last baby i went to the hospital to be induced and when checked i was 6-7cm and didn't feel a single contraction even though it showed up on the moniter, so luckily i never needed to be induced at all, he was born an hour later
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

thekiddies.jpg picture by lowry_a

AJ.jpg picture by lowry_a

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-14-2007 - 4:23pm

Oh, Amanda! CONGRATULATIONS! That sounds like the most perfect birth!!!

Congratulations of your wonderful birth and BEAUTIFUL baby girl!!!

Blessing #5 due 4/19/08
~Homeschooling, homebirthing mother of 5~