Carter's Birth Story

iVillage Member
Carter's Birth Story
Sat, 01-05-2008 - 11:25am

So he's 4 months old next week, I thought I should post his story and save it before I forget all the details!

(This is the long version...if you want to, you can skip down to the *** for the nitty gritty)

If you recall...I decided to opt for a homebirth early in my third trimester after seeing a CNM throughout my whole pregnancy. She supported my decision, and I met with a local LM and proceeded to do my childbirth education with her. We did Hypnobirthing classes as well at the facility she bases her practice out of.

I was due Sept 3 and contracted my whole pregnancy but never dilated. Then comes 38 weeks and no activity. Sept 3 comes and goes...meanwhile my mother, grandmother, brother, sister, her husband, and their 2 children are camped out waiting for me to go into labor. Not quite how I had envisioned, but whatever.

Sept 4 we go out to dinner, my contractions are every 3 minutes for several hours. I go to the bathroom and lose my mucous plus. They fill like very minor cramps, nothing really painful at all. We go home...DH makes a deposit and we go to sleep. I wake up at about 12:45am with an intense pain that made me jump out of bed. The contractions were that intense for the next THREE DAYS. I kid you not, it was crazy!!

So now it is Wednesday morning, DH is still asleep, and I can't stay in bed for these pains. They are coming every 4-6 minutes, and I am SURE this is labor (haha, I was so wrong). I'll remind you that I am a labor nurse, one might think I'd know when the 'real thing' was happening. So I'm moaning through these, bent over at my bed, and I can't believe how intense they are so quickly. Since I just lost my plug a few hours before, I think this must be going fast. At around 3:30 I woke up DH and we walked around the block. I couldn't walk or stand unsupported during the contractions, so we didn't even make it around, and we went home. I called my LM and she told me to keep her posted, call at 6am. My little brain was like, what? This baby is coming! I was on the verge of tears with the contractions, and I have a high pain tolerance!

Much to my dismay the contractions went from every 3 minutes, to every 5-6 minutes, to every 8-10 minutes but 2pm. The LM came over and checked me...I was only 1 cm!!! (Same as my last visit with the CNM - I kept dual care in case I needed to transfer to the hospital)

I was really upset, disappointed, tired. She encouraged me to drink a glass of wine and rest. I sent DH out and slammed down a glass of wine and slept for 4 hours! It was so nice. I woke up later that evening, around 8pm. And did the same thing all over again. The family played Taboo, but I had to get up and walk through contractions, and couldn't talk. Mom was timing them, still every 8-12 minutes. This went on all night, and throughout Thursday. Had another glass of wine Thursday late evening to try and sleep again. It worked for 4 hours again.

Friday morning I had an appt with my CNM. Now we had to discuss induction because it is practice policy to only go 7 days overdue. They 'allowed' me to go 10 days so we didn't schedule the induction just yet. The contractions were still coming, every 5 minutes at times, to every 20 minutes Friday 2pm when I saw my CNM. She checked me, 2cm-90%....whoop-dee-doo! She stripped my membranes and sent me for an ultrasound and fetal monitoring at the office since I was now 4 days overdue. The testing all came back fine (estimated weight 8#3oz), but the contractions started again at 4:30pm when I was leaving the office. She saw how I handled the contraction, with a deep moan, bent over and rocking my hips. She was surprised and said, wow, do you want me to check you again? I snapped, NO - this is how they have been for 3 days!! I'm never having this baby!

Well boy was I wrong, we got in the car and they were right on every 2-3 minutes. The car ride was horrible, I couldn't handle them at all. I was really doubting my ability to have a homebirth. I was questioning everything.

**** Now here's where the REAL birth story begins!! ****

So we get home around 5pm. Joe calls the LM and the doula around 530 or 6 because I can't even come up for air, they are one on top of the other and I am NOT coping well. The hypnobirthing method of breathing was SO not working and I was really disappointed because we'd practiced for so long. DH started filling up the AquaDoula and the midwife was on her way over. I don't know when they got there, but they were trying to calm me down, get me to refocus. I was crying with some of them and I still thought this might not even be the real thing! They kept saying - you need to get in the tub!! But it was still filling. I got my IV antibiotics for GBS, and then got in the tub at 830pm. Ahhhhhhhhh...man, that was heaven. I was a different woman in there!

So I labored in and out of the tub for hours...now I was trying to focus but the nurse in me was being very negative - no bloody show, no rectal pressure...this baby is never coming! So I finally get my first exam in labor at 2 am. So this is NINE HOURS OF ACTIVE LABOR and I am....drum roll, please.... 4 cm!! I was gonna cry. There was no way I can keep this up. Something is wrong. Baby too big (my tummy was HUGE), something. Then, as she's checking me and saying you bag is really bulging, POP! It broke. Clear fluid, thank God.

Then the real fun began. The rest of my labor was a blur of me fighting the negative thoughts in my head that were literally calculating how long it would take me to get to the hospital and have my epidural in place. The water and DH pushing as hard as he could on my sacrum were the closest I would get to pain medicine though, LOL!

So after about an hour or so I feel the urge to push. I do a quick exam on myself in the shower, and I feel a lot of cervix. Crap, this sucks. I waddle to the tub because I'm starting to get out of control again. The tub always brought me back to focus. After another 20-30 minutes of me trying to handle the mack truck of energy that was passing through my body from my head out my BUTT...I start to bear down again. The midwife checks me and says there is still a little cervix left so try not to push. I said ok but 2 contractions later, it was happening all on its own. I started pushing at 420am and soon the baby was crowning. I didn't realize how fast the delivery happened and all of a sudden this beautiful little body came up to my arms at 457 on SATURDAY MORNING 09/08/07. I thought I was just pushing out the head and there it was!! A couple minutes later we opened the legs...IT'S A BOY! YAY! I was so overwhelmed with emotion. What a ride. SO MUCH HARDER than I thought it would be. Which makes me so much more proud that it happened the way I wanted. Although I had painful contractions forever, it was really only 12 hours of active labor, so I can't complain!

He was 9lbs even and 21 inches with his hand covering his head. The midwives said that is why I had such prodromal labor and a tough start. That compound presentation would likely have resulted in a C/S if I had been in the hospital with an epidural! No way could I have pushed that out, half numb, lying on my back!

I wish I could share the video with you. Although I remember it being so intense, the video is so peaceful and I look in control, much to my surprise.  Being a labor nurse gave me the confidence to have a home birth, but it ended up really hindering the experience by thinking too much. I couldn't just surrender to the experience like I wanted. Sometimes knowing less is better!

I'd love to share my birth pictures with you.

http://picasaweb.google.com/joeandcourtney/CartersBirth

and see how he's grown since he was born!

http://picasaweb.google.com/joeandcourtney

ETA:

For those who want to see the ALL of the (uncensored) birth pics...

http://picasaweb.google.com/joeandcourtney/BirthPhotosALL?authkey=4BTRuu4mdyo

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Edited 1/5/2008 11:35 am ET by cam_in_boca

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-06-2008 - 11:38am
What a great story! Thank you for sharing it!
I kind of wish I hadn't read it yet though...I am due in 10 days and SO hoping for a short labor. My first was similar to yours although at a birth center instead of home. I'm hoping being home will speed things up!
But you did it! That is the totally awesome part of a birth like that. I, too, think I would have had a c-section if I'd been at the hospital, but in the end everything was just fine.
Congratulations!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-06-2008 - 11:46am

Second babies are EASY and FAST....repeat, EASY and FAST, EASY and FAST!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-06-2008 - 7:49pm
Thank you for the beautiful story and photos. I'll admit, as a first timer, your story was mildly frightening to me, but just seeing in the pictures how happy you are with your beautiful new baby makes my fears subside and allows me to refocus on our bodies awesome ability to do something so wonderful. Congratulations!
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-06-2008 - 9:52pm

CONGRATULATIONS! You did it!!!! Thank you so much for sharing your birth story with us! Carter is just a DOLL, so worth all that hard work!

You are SO blessed!!!

Blessing #5 due 4/19/08
~Homeschooling, homebirthing mother of 5~
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-06-2008 - 10:16pm

OH no! I'm sorry to have frightened you. It was so much more intense for me that the calm HypnoBirthers I've seen deliver so peacefully. But I wouldn't change it for the world!

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2008 - 12:30am
Nobody should be scared. I had a long labor with my first too, she was posterior and didn't come out until the midwife reached in there and turned her....but the beauty of a homebirth is you can do stuff like that. Midwives know all sorts of ways to deal with "problems" that aren't really problems.
YOU might be miserable for awhile but even a "long" labor is only a day or two (or three!) out of your life and most of it is uncomfortable or "hurts" but it isn't traumatizing or anything. The "bad" part is usually quite short and since you can tell something is FINALLY happening, it's not that bad. I was soooo worried about the actual delivery, the baby coming out that itty bitty opening, but heck, NO worries, I was so happy she was there! And when the baby is out, it's all over. There might be some soreness or stitches or something, but it's nothing. And while you DO remember your labor, it's just not important. I think those endorphins are the greatest thing. I would never want a medicated birth after experiencing the high of a natural birth, it's the BEST feeling.
And that's my pep talk for the day! And that being said, I'm still hoping for a two hour labor! :o) But I'll take it any way it comes!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-07-2008 - 8:00am
You are amazing :) Congratulations and Carter is so cute! WTG, mama!

Theresa

Mama to two girls; birth choice and breastf

iVillage Member
Tue, 01-08-2008 - 6:42pm

Congrats and yay for you sticking it out!!! I wonder if the stripping the membranes is what did the trick or if that little one was just ready to make his way out. Anyways thanks for posting your story and your wonderful pic's I enjoyed them. Plus I love it when L and D nurses or doc's give birth at home.... mainstream people don't know what to say about that. Yay mama yay!!!!

sav

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-14-2008 - 1:56pm
Thank you for sharing your story! I was just looking at your photos and he is such a doll! I LOVE his little faux hawk :)!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket