Josiah Hunter's Homebirth 12-29-07

iVillage Member
Josiah Hunter's Homebirth 12-29-07
Thu, 01-17-2008 - 12:59pm
my dh called on his way home from work and said he had gotten MIL to watch the kids so we could go out for one last time before baby came. Just as we were walking out the door, I had a very strong, but tolerable contraction. They continued the whole time we were out...about 2 hours and were about 5 minutes apart. I called my MW and she said to call her with any changes. When we arrived home they started coming every 3 minutes, but lessened in strength. So I called MW back and she said she wanted to come over and check me out. I hadn't really made any change, so she went home and told me to get some rest.

Between 2:30 and 3am I awoke to go pee and had a very different, very intense contraction. I made my way back to bed and decided I would see if they kept up before waking dh. They didn't go away. I had to put much focus into them when they came, so I got dh up and he called MW and doula. They were here within 30 minutes and MW checked me, then started setting up everything.

My favorite position was side lying on the bed and did fairly well at staying focused and relaxed...in the beginning. I spent a great deal of time laboring on the toilet, per my MW's request. I didn't like it, but it was keeping me upright and allowing things to progress nicely. I got to 10 cm fairly quick, but the baby wasn't'r ready to come down....my bag of water was still intact. Eventually I had had my fill of the toilet and was giving up on myself. I said as I stormed out of the bathroom that I wanted to go to the hospital. Everyone tried encouraging me, but I realized even if I did go to the hospital, they wouldn't be able to do anything for me at this point...I was so frustrated and SO done, but I kept going thanks to my wonderful birth team. I had horrible....that is such a mild word....contraction after contraction and baby still wasn't coming down, so MW decided to break my water with my permission. She warned me that the contractions would be worse and she was right. OMG, I thought I had lost all control and I wanted out. I did not want to continue and balled and balled. I just wanted it to be over! After she broke my water the bay slammed down into my pelvis. My contractions from that point on are purely indescribable...they overwhelmed me. I tried to stay focused, but it was SO hard. Finally after pushing and pushing and pushing he started emerging and that was no picnic either! Once he started crowning I was told to stop pushing, but I couldn't and wouldn't! The pressure was way more than I could bare and I WANTED HIM OUT! I was terrified of what my perineum would look like, but I just couldn't stop pushing. Finally his head came out...It felt like a freakin eternity! and then his body came tumbling out with one more push. I couldn't believe he was finally here...At 6:49am Josiah Hunter entered the world weighing a whopping 9lbs and was 20 1/2inches long!! I was in shock! I had a 9lb baby!!! I did have a teeny tear that didn't require a stitch....what a relief! Here are a couple pics:

100_2073.jpg picture by amy_mom2many

100_2072.jpg picture by amy_mom2many

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

iVillage Member
Thu, 01-17-2008 - 2:18pm
congrats and wtg, mama!! woohoo! you did great and he is just beautiful :)

Theresa

Mama to two girls; birth choice and breastf

iVillage Member
Tue, 02-12-2008 - 9:30am

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS Amy! Josiah is just beautiful!!!

Good job!!!

Blessing #5 due 4/19/08
~Homeschooling, homebirthing mother of 5~
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-19-2008 - 11:59am
Oh my goodness, I have to comment because he is just so precious!

Event.observe($('fullSizedImage'), 'load', function(event) { pageTags.addTagListToImg('fullSizedImage', ); });      

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-14-2008 - 1:26pm

Congratulations! He is such a sweetie and I LOVE your siggy!

Funny, my DH and I were getting ready to go out on our last date night before baby when I went into active labor. I thought I was just in pre-labor, but DH called the midwife and within 4 hours we had a baby! Needless to say, we ended up eating cold pizza after the birth :).

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket