Awesome! Home waterbirth

iVillage Member
Awesome! Home waterbirth
Fri, 01-25-2008 - 11:50am

The short version: A healthy baby girl born in the water at home! 9 lbs 8 oz, 21 inches long and her head is 14 inches and she had her hand up there too. We are really slow at naming babies so she won't have a name for probably a week!

What a long strange trip it's been! My first baby was born at a birth center but soon after the midwife who attended the birth started her own practice. She only does homebirths or hospital support, so we opted for a homebirth in spite of the fact that it's 20 miles to the hospital, it's Alaska and it's winter. I second-guessed myself the entire pregnancy about it. My due date, Jan 16, came and went and even the morning of the 22nd when I was 6 days overdue, I had NO signs of impending labor. I did take blue and black cohosh that day, but who knows if it worked or if was finally just time?

My water broke at 11 pm while I was sleeping. Fortunately it woke me up fast and I was able to get out of bed and into the bathroom before it was too messy! I called my midwife, Debbie, and she came and hung out until 5:30, but nothing was really happening, just short contractions 10 minutes apart, so she went home and came back about 8:30. I actually slept a little. Robert and Kelsey got up around 8 and when Kelsey saw we'd filled the tub (Aquadoula) in the night she shucked off her jammies and climbed right in. We dumped in all her bathtub toys and she had a great time. Things picked up for me around 11 and I got in the tub too. Kelsey was awesome! She stayed in there with and resisted all attempts by everyone to distract her. She was not at all freaked out even when I got loud. She just played and after each contraction she would wipe my face with a cold cloth and hug me and then go back to playing. When I started pushing (and making the scary noises) she decided to go watch her dvd player with Robert, but only about 10 feet away ...she'd spent about five hours in the tub at a that point! The second midwife, Johanna, showed up about then too.
When Debbie said the baby was coming, Kelsey and Robert came back and watched. Kelsey was totally into it...I heard her say, "there's the head!" and "it's a baby!"
When her head came out, I could feel Debbie doing something down there and asked what was up and she said she was just getting the cord from around her neck, then she said, "Oh look, there's her hand!" I had thought something was really hurting down there! With the next push she slid right out and Debbie put her on my chest and I just sat there and bawled.

I had to get out of the tub to deliver the placenta...we'd put an airmattess by the couch, so I just had to step out and sit on the mattress. The baby was rooting around trying to nurse already, so she did that, and the placenta came out about 10 minutes later. Kelsey thought that was totally cool too! I cut the cord because Robert was chicken and we didn't think Kelsey could do it.

I ended up with some stitches, but other than that, I feel great. It was really an awesome birth and I am SO glad I stuck with my instincts and did it at home. I can't imagine anyway it could have been better (Well, except being one of those women who claim it didn't hurt ... I think possibly they are just lying though). Kelsey was the most incredible thing about it for me...she was SO calm and loving and caring.
I was worried about her being there. I remember when I was pregnant with her we watched a video about waterbirth and a lot of women had older kids in the tub while they labored and Robert and I were both appalled and later said how weird that was and we would never do that etc... How we change! It was the most natural thing in the world, for us and for Kelsey.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 01-25-2008 - 4:44pm

Congratuations and welcome to baby 'yet-to-be-named'! What a wonderful birth experience :) I loved how helpful Kelsey was. THat is so sweet!

Thank you!

Theresa

Mama to two girls; birth choice and breastf

iVillage Member
Sat, 01-26-2008 - 10:19pm

CONGRATULATIONS Pauli!!!!

Kelsey must have been a little raisin after such a long time in the tub! LOL I can totally see my girls doing it, too! It sounds like the birth was wonderful.

I'm so happy for you! Welcome

Mommy to 5. Our newest blessing, Henry,  came 4/27/08.

iVillage Member
Fri, 02-01-2008 - 5:36pm
That is so precious that Kelsey helped out! I often wonder what we'll do with Elisabeth when it comes time for baby #2.

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Check out Baby Elisabeth's website for photos, blogs, and more: http://web.mac.com/becca.c/iWeb/Baby

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket