HBAC

iVillage Member
HBAC
Fri, 05-28-2010 - 4:35pm

I know that I haven't posted anything on here. Where I live isn't friendly towards HB, so I didn't want to post anything until it was all over and done with.

So I'm posting a homebirth VBAC just for encouragement. And now that I'm 'out', I can join in discussions, if that's all right. :)

I'm blissing out on baby girl sights, sounds, and smells. Lisette was born on May 27, at 9:32 pm in our home at 7 lbs, 3 oz; 20 ¼ inches (bigger and shorter than her sister). We are all doing well and enjoying getting to know each other. :) Thank You God for our successful hbac (home birth after cesarean)! And the person from our first birth said I could never push a baby out...

Here's my (loooong) story:

I’d been having toning contractions off and on since early May, usually when nursing. Last Friday, the 21st, they picked up and I thought, “This is it.” But nothing and nothing and nothing. Monday (the due date) I had a meltdown, but by Tuesday life was good again. I was getting anxious, because my friend was visiting so that she could help out, but the baby was just hanging out and she was leaving on Thursday. Dh had his first gradation to put together and pull off on Wednesday night, so I kept busy helping him with the program and slide shows and such. :)

Thursday morning, our friend stayed home with Isabella so that we could go out for brunch. That was what we had done with Isabella. I knew that I was starting to feel contractions a little more intensely and mentioned that to dh, but not to our friend. She had an 8.5 hour drive home and I didn’t want her to wait around for us. :) Sure enough, as she pulled out of the driveway at 11:30, I got hit with a pretty intense one. They were lasting 30 seconds to 2 minutes and came every 3 to 8 minutes. I alerted the midwife and dh.

About 1, when I put Isabella down for a nap, I had to nurse her through 2 contractions and I just about came off the bed and ran out of the room, they were so intense. Holy cow! I called the midwife again. We agreed to have me lay down and see how things went. Bloody show started at 3 and I let the midwife know. I timed until about 4:30 and told her to start on her way (she lives 1.5 hours away). I sent dh and Isabella out to pick up a few last-minute supplies and I was all alone, just the way I wanted to be. I laid down and slept or read until a contraction hit and breathed/moaned/sang 3 Blind Mice through them.

The midwife got here around 6:20 and listened to me and encouraged me and told me that I was sounding great. And that was what I loved about her. No matter what type/pitch of vocalizing I did, she was totally affirming and told me that I sounded great. Our first birth, I was told to go lower and not scream so much. But with this birth, any noise was good. Isabella got worried when I would scream, but she was able to be immediately comforted by myself or dh.

I started out on my side in bed, then moved to the toilet, then to the bathtub and back to the bed on my hands and knees. We had a birth pool, but the water refused to get hot enough. But since I had actually visualized myself giving birth in our bedroom, I was all right with that.

For about 2.5-3 hours, I was saying things like, “I can’t do this. It hurts too much. Father God, why does it have to hurt? An epidural sounds so good right now. Can you please make it go away? What can I do be done with this?” But dh and the midwife were so encouraging. They didn’t tell me to shut up and stop being negative. They just said, “You can do it. Just push through the pain and you’ll have a baby on the other side.” The midwife asked if she could check me and feel the baby. She was about middle knuckle-length up, which was so close. She asked me to feel and I did and whoa! she was so almost right there. About 9:20 (?), I knew that I was fully open and ready for this. Dh was surprised; he said it was like a light switch. I stopped crying and he couldn’t even tell when I was pushing. I had read through this site http://docs.google.com/View?id=dhcwj3xv_46g768cgcs (which has graphic birth pictures) and I knew that all I needed to do was push and then let baby recede so that I could stretch. I knew the midwife would provide support for me. I pushed, felt the ring of fire, backed off so that I could stretch and did that again. Then I pushed and out came her head. I pushed again and out came her shoulders and the next thing I knew, the midwife was passing her through my legs up to me and I was sitting up, holding my baby in my arms, looking at dh and Isabella and saying, “I did it. I pushed her out. We did it.”

Especially since the medwife from our first birth (ended in c/s) was so convinced that I would not be able to push out a baby, I was thrilled. I did it—I had an hbac. And with a baby that weighed more than Isabella, even though she was shorter than her sister.
Isabella (20 months old), was great. She got scared when I would scream, but quieted down quickly. During the early part of labor, she’d lay beside me and pat my face. When I was pushing, she was right there, patting my hips and encouraging me. I’m so glad that she was awake and there with us.

It was perfect. Perfect timing, perfect baby, healing birth. And I have to say, that though the birth pain was greater than the c/s pain, afterwards it is so much better. And for us, it was great not having to go to the hospital and fight (which we would have had to do with the OB I had originally, since she was going to give me 1-2 hours to push; I spent almost 3 hours laboring Lisette down). I’m still in shock and can’t really believe we did this at home.

So if you’re wanting a vbac this time or next, go for it. Find a supportive birth team and birth where you feel most comfortable. For us it was at home, for others it might be the hospital or birth center. But man, the exhilaration of vbac is totally worth all the pain. We switched providers for our vbac at 28 weeks and dh and I have not regretted that decision in the least. And he’s on a vbac/hbac high too. :) And he's so an advocate for homebirth now too, lol.

Loral

don't forget your purpose...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Loral

iVillage Member
In reply to: loramz
Sat, 05-29-2010 - 10:18pm
Congrats on your HBAC!
Photobucket
CL for Reflux

"That's the
iVillage Member
Sun, 05-30-2010 - 2:16am
Congrats again! Saw your story on the May board, and loved it!
Community Leader
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 12:30pm
Thank you very much for sharing so much and being an inspiration to others.

Gail

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-31-2010 - 11:40pm

Wonderful story, thanks for sharing!
It really resonates with me too, because I too had a Medwife with my first, leading to cesarean, who issued the opinion when the induction was going really poorly that she wasn't surprised, because of my history of sexual abuse, that she didn't figure I would be able to dilate. It had nothing to do with that (I was and am fully resolved on that!) and everything to do with the induction being too soon, too aggressive, and on a breech baby, which I told them it felt like, and they ignored me! What could the mother possibly know about the position of the baby inside her, after all?

And I too defected to real midwifery for my HBAC, in the middle of the second pregnancy. And I too would have ended up with another cesarean if I hadn't, because my labor started naturally, 2 or 3 days after the magical 40 week limit my OB said I would have to be induced (on a VBAC?!) at. And it has made all the difference, 2.5 years later. Birthdays are now joyous occasions.

Unlike your experience, though, birthing my 10 lb son at home without drugs, was actually less painful, than that rough, aggressive Pitocin induction which only got to 4 cm had been, and the postoperative pain was also worse. So 10 lb baby through a birth canal that had never passed a child, wasn't painless, but at every stage, I knew I had been through far worse already, and it gave me courage.

didn't mean to hijack your thread! Just saw so many parallels, and your story was so personal, and wonderful, to read.

Welcome to the wonderful world of YOU DID IT! :) Every birthday will now also be a birth day, and it's a great thing to treasure as a mother, knowing the distinction.

-Meg

Loving life as an 0ver-35 mom and Postal Wife, homeschooling, urban homesteading, relaxed crunchy/geek hybrid housewife, trying to live consciously in an age of media hypnosis

<a href="http://lilypie.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-02-2010 - 7:09pm
Photobucket

on your new baby! Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful story with us. I would like to welcome you to join in on any and all discussion if you feel comfortable. :o) How are you feeling? Enjoy your babymoon!

~
> >
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-29-2011 - 3:12pm
Thank you sooo much for your story! After planning for an unmedicated birth the first time, I also ended up with a c-section. I'm hoping and praying that the next time I can have a successful VBAC and I'm even considering HBAC so it is very encouraging and inspiring to read your story. I'm glad you got your VBAC and that it was a healing experience. I know how important that is!

Manda :)