Keelan Stefan Thomas

iVillage Member
Keelan Stefan Thomas
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 8:54pm

Keelan Stefan Thomas was born June 23rd at home at 10:44am weighing 8lbs 11oz and was 21.5 inches long.

Mild contractions started around 4:30am on June 22nd but were fairly consistent so I asked Jude to stay home “just in case” since Oli’s birth had been so fast.  I had a midwife appointment at 9:45am that morning so figured I would go if I was feeling up to it.  Nothing much else happened so I did go to my appointment and told her about the contractions.  She swept my membranes again and said she was pretty certain that with the sweep, it shouldn’t take long for me to go into labour.  Because of the speed in Oli’s delivery, I think we all assumed that baby would be born that night but no such luck.  I felt crampy the rest of the day but the contractions slowed down and didn’t start picking up again until about 5pm that night.  We walked the mall for a bit and went and had ice cream together, the last time as a family of 3.  We went home, relaxed, put Oli to bed and then went to bed ourselves.  Around 12:30, I noticed the contractions were getting a little stronger and a little closer together so around 2am, when contractions were roughly 10 minutes apart, we called Mom at Dad’s convalescence residence and Jude picked her up with Oli and brought them both back to her house.  When Jude got home, I spent an hour or so in the bath and then decided to try and rest for a bit.  I was able to doze between contractions until about 6:30 so we started timing again and it looked like they were about 4-5 minutes apart.  We called the on-call midwife at 7am and she said she was on her way.  On her orders, our student midwife arrived about 7:30 and did some of the basics (my blood pressure, pulse, temperature etc etc).  Otherwise we all just kind of hung around and chatted in between contractions.  Mw arrived about 8:15am at which time she had the smw check me.  I was between 4 and 5cm dilated and almost fully effaced.  Our mw reassured us that we probably wouldn’t have to wait long because 5cm with a second baby would quickly become 10.  I lay down on my left side and she suggested that Jude massage my lower back (as this is where it seems I always labour, regardless of baby’s position).  We basically continued this way for the next hour and a half or so.  About 10ish, the second midwife arrived and all were just encouraging me to keep my voice low to push my baby down during contractions.  About 10:20, I had only a lip of cervix left but my water had yet to break so the mw asked whether I wanted her to break my water or just to give it a few more minutes.  I opted for the few more minutes since it seemed like we were so close anyway.  At 10:30, my water broke (although 'exploded' would probably be a more accurate description LOL) and shortly thereafter, I decided to start pushing while the smw held that little lip of cervix out of the way.  I continued to push until the head crowned and then they told me to stop and take a few deep breaths.  Finally, the head was pushed out but the shoulder was caught behind my pelvic bone so Jude and the second midwife held my legs up and apart while the smw put her hand in and unstuck the shoulder.  Moments later, at 10:44am, Keelan was out and crying (although a little gurgly sounding).  The mw suctioned him out and then they put him on my chest.  Funny thing, he had his first bowel movement just as he come out!  Within an hour of birth I had delivered the placenta, gotten up for a shower, nursed him on both sides and was back, comfy in my bed!  I couldn't have asked for a better experience!!!

Photobucket
Signature - Kim loving wife to Jude; momma to Olivier and anxiously awaiting our June Jitterbug

Image - Proud Member - June 2010 JitterbugsImage - 20ish Mom's - June 2010 JitterbugsImage - Hoping for a Homebirth Mom - June 2010 JitterbugsImage - 3rd Trimester - June 2010 JitterbugsImage - BTDT Mom - June 2010 JitterbugsImage - Green Team - My June 2010 Jitterbug is a surprise

Images - 2000 Posts - June 2010 Jitterbugs   Born Sleeping at 17 eeks

Image - Baby #2 Pregnancy - Ticker

Image - Wedding Anniversary - Ticker

Image - Olivier second birthday - Ticker

Image - Proud mom of a little boy - Blinkie Images - In Love with my Husband - Blinkies Image - Proud stay at home mom (SAHM) - Blinkie

Images - Proud Pagan Mommy - Blinkies Image - Salivate for Starbucks - Blinkie Image - Making do with Decaf - Blinkie

Image - My Pregnancy - I am X weeks and X days pregnant. Still X days until my due date on MMMM/DD/YYYY.
Signature - Kim, mom to Oli and Keelan

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 11:45am

Hi Kim, thank you so much for sharing your wonderful birth story :)

pat

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 12:30pm
Congratulations on your beautiful boy! Your birth sounds like it was beautiful. I hope mine's that nice! :D
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Photobucket