Jocelyn Faye

iVillage Member
Jocelyn Faye
Thu, 08-19-2010 - 12:29pm

(cross posted on August EC)

Here is the condensed version:  Jocelyn Faye was born on Sunday August 1, 2010 at 10:15 pm in the comfort of our home.  She weighed 8lbs 10oz and was 21 inches long.

On Sunday, we took our 4 1/2 year old daughter to her first soccer practice at 4:30 pm.  After practice was over at about 6 pm, we decided to go to the grocery store and get something for dinner.  We were halfway there, I was driving, and I felt something pop low on my cervix.  I didnt feel anything as far as fluid goes, but told my dh that I thought maybe my water broke.  I continued to drive towards the grocery store and on the way had 4 contractions that were clearly different than the contractions I had been having for a week or two.  We decided that we should skip the grocery store and went to a drive through instead.  While waiting to pay we switched seats and he drove, when I got out of the car I felt some water leak and was very happy I had a pad in my purse.  I continued to have contractions all the way home and then verified my water did break.  I called my midwife at 6:30 and told her what happened and she told me to get some rest, try to sleep and call her when contractions were 1 min long every 4 min and this cycle lasting an hour.  I tried to eat my dinner between contractions-not easy.  At 8:00 I called her again telling her that my contractions were never 4 min apart, they were every 2-3 from the start.  My midwife said she would call my doula and have her come over.  I dont know exactly what time the doula got there, but the labor had intensified.  I had been having back labor all along and dh was pushing on my back and it was helping some.  When he pushed on my back it made the focus  on the contractions all in my abdomen.  My dh had emptied our hot tub then filled it with water only, no chemicals and turned down the temp so I could sit in it.  At this point I was pretty uncomfortable and was ready to get it,  I have no idea what time it is either.  I went in the tub and it helped my back labor for a couple contractions then it came back.  Apparently my doula said I had 8 contractions in 9 minutes, and she called the midwife and told her to come over.  I didnt realize that my dh had been timing the contractions while I was in the hot tub, good thing he was.  He was very sweet and rigged up a canopy over the hot tub for me since it was raining, mind you he did this in about 5 minutes!  He is incredible to say the least.  My doula suggested I get out of the tub so the midwife could check me when she got there.  I was fearful that when she checked me I would only be dilated to 5 :(  then feared the worst since I was pretty uncomfortable.  Anyhow, after the next contraction I got out of the tub and went inside, didnt get very far before having another contraction.  I quickly went upstairs and got out of my wet clothes and into something dry-another contraction.  I spent some time on the side of the bed with my elbows on the bed and feet on the floor during contractions.  Kind of a downward dog position but standing, I can't imagine how wonderful it looked lol.  At some point the midwife arrived and I remember seeing her move around setting things up.  They had been trying to check the babies heart rate but per usual for this baby, she was hard to find and I couldnt stand up long enough for them to find it.  I tried laying on my back but that was absolutely not going to work.  I do remember feeling like I was going to throw up and then my body started pushing voluntarily with contractions-it was weird.  I felt panicky and the contractions were intense being right on top of each other.  They never were able to check my dilation and frankly I had forgotten about it.  I crawled up on my bed and heard my midwife say "oh thank you!"  There was not a lot of room between me and the dresser where I had been standing/leaning over the bed.  Once on the bed, I was on all fours and during contractions like every other contraction someone had to be putting pressure on my back.  I started pushing and can only remember that first realization of the burning.  I have to say, I have never felt anything like that in my life, stopped me in my tracks and made me feel kind of out of control.  I remember pushing to a point where I felt her head moving and then felt it go back in, at which point I even said "omg, did her head just go back in?!"  At one point, my midwife told me to reach down and feel my baby, what an amazing thing!  I found a new energy and I continued to push and actually "held" the push so she wouldnt go back in, futile I know.  As I continued to push the burning was fierce and I just kept saying omg, omg omg.  I felt like I was tearing, I had.  I focused so much on pushing and getting her out and I can't tell you the amazing feeling of her head being out, I could feel the difference in the pressure.  My midwife told me to keep pushing to get her out, I hadnt really thought of stopping.  I gave one more push and felt her come out, I felt her feet inside me for the last time kick and then she was out.  They brought her between my legs and up into my arms as I sat back.  I couldn't believe all the hair she had and it was jet black.  She looked so  big compared to my dd and the whole thing was just surreal.

I did tear a little, they stitched me up right in my own bed.  After they stitched me up, they helped me in to the shower which felt really good.  When I got out, they had changed my sheets on the bed, made an herbal peri wash and got me some food.  I am so happy we decided to do a homebirth, I can't imagine the stress I would have felt in the hospital laboring that fast.  I was relaxed and never once thought about going to the hospital.  I will not deny that it was painful, however, it was worth it in every sense of the way.  My Little girl latched right away, we are having some difficulty now but we are working on it.  My family showed up in about 25 minutes after I called and said she was here.  My dog slept in the corner of our bedroom the whole time and never moved :)  My dd also slept through the whole thing, which is good since I was more vocal than I thought I would be.  I didnt swear, no yelling, just moaning a lot.   After a few hours they left, and then it was me, my dh and our new dd sitting in our bed which I just gave birth in.  We listened to the thunder storm and watched the lightening in pure awe of what just happened.  It was a strange feeling to be alone in our house with a new baby just hours after she was born.

~Kimberly~

Photobucket

Edited 8/19/2010 12:31 pm ET by berly1874

~Kimberly~

iVillage Member
In reply to: berly1874
Sat, 08-21-2010 - 9:54am
What a beautiful story! Jocelyn is just the most adorable little baby I have ever seen! Congratulations!

Photobucket

Thanking Mandy for the amazing siggy!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Photobucket

Than

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-22-2010 - 12:36pm

That was beautiful, thanks for sharing.

Amanda

Amanda

Mom to Talia (3)

expecting #2 on 1/11/11

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-30-2010 - 5:31pm

You didn't tell me this was up :) Congrats!

Ladies, Jocelyn is adorable in pictures. You should see her in person!!

Theresa

Mama to two girls; birth choice and breastfeeding advocate

Theresa

Mama to two girls; birth choice and breastf

Community Leader
Sun, 09-12-2010 - 12:45pm
Wait to go!

Gail

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-30-2011 - 9:48pm

I feel so jealous of you ladies who had the strength and pain threshhold to go through this.