Excess baby pictures at work???

iVillage Member
Excess baby pictures at work???
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 10:07am

Have any of you said anything about people who have baby pictures up that are a bit much?  I'm not talking about the handful of pics on someone's desk or cube wall.  I've seen a few other people in the company who have what I (as someone with fertility issues) consider to be too much - like the person who has like 7-8 pics of their kids up on a wall outside their office (not even on the door) where everyone walking down that cube hallway has to see their pics for the while way they walk there.  But fortunately, I at least don't have to go there too often.

But the one that bothers me the most is, naturally, not far from where I sit, and involves a newborn.  This one woman was on a long maternity leave, and just came back a couple of months ago.  She has three sizeable baby pictures at eye level on her office door that is frequently closed and in a VERY high traffic area.  But that's not all, folks!  When the door is open, anyone walking by in one direction sees an outward-facing HUGE baby picture on her desk (we're talking at least 8"x10", maybe even 11"x14"), not even facing her!  And on top of that, her husband comes in frequently with the baby (not sure if he's doing paternity leave, or is doing the SAHD thing, whatever).  He's hung out for more than just a short time in our floor's reception area, they've blocked the hallway by her office with people ooohing and goooing over the baby (it's one of only two ways out of my side of the floor, I went around the long way!), and he's sometimes seen just lounging on the floor of her office, door open, playing with the baby!  Frankly, it's hard enough to see her meeting up with her husband and baby in the lobby of the building after work if we have to leave at the same time, much less all the rest of it... fortunately she's not in my dept., so I don't have to actually work with her, but I see her constantly since she's just one small dept. over.

(The company is an educational media company focusing on children, BTW, which makes it even harder to contemplate saying anything to HR.)

Now, I understand that it probably hasn't even occured to most of the people who do this kind of thing that they might be causing people around them pain.  But especially for the one who sits near me, it's just over the top!  I have no idea what to do.  I am barely hanging on at my job as it is, and this just hurts all the more.

Has anyone dealt with a similar situation?  Did you say something?  Or develop selective blindness?  If you did say something, what happened?

I am not coping very well right now, I guess.  :(

Any tips would be appreciated.  Thank you!

--KJ

Mom to Silas Walker, born July 2009, thanks to IVF. :)

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 1:18pm

I haven't had that situation here, but I can understand how you feel.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 2:26pm

Thanks, Terri.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 3:05pm

KJ-

I

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 3:31pm
iVillage Member
Mon, 07-28-2008 - 7:34pm

I know how you feel. I don't have that situation at work but I do have a pregnant colleague and it hurts to look at her. She has asked me when I'm going to start ttc and that hurts even more. I would never tell her or anyone at work my issue.

You've been through so much and I feel for you. It seems so unfair that you are going through that. I don't know what the purpose of all this pain is....I myself have something else wrong with my body (I don't want to get into it, but it's a physical disability) so to have IF on top of it feels like too much, like someone up there really hates me. But then I remember that I am also very blessed.

I don't have advice to impart regarding this work situation but I wanted to write to you and let you know that I commiserate. Hang in there.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 12:36am

KJ-

I hear you. I have a small team, only 12 people, and to top it off, I am in HR. In my team, there are 3 small babies (all under 19mo.) and two more on the way in the next four months. Not a month goes by that someone isn't bringing in the baby to show or talking about some pregnancy symptom they "can't stand". Honestly, I don't believe these people are meaning to hurt, nor do I think they are aware. On the flip side, to play devil's advocate, how do we know that these people, only months before, were not in our shoes? I can't say that I wouldn't want to show of my beautiful baby if I had one. But then again, there are limits.

Normally, I go over, do the obligitory ohh and ahh, and go back to my desk. Best bet is to try and ignore it, because it doesn't honestly sound like your employer would be too keen on asking the moms to button up. Either way, I wish you luck and stregnth to be a bigger person than those in your office.

Photobucket

<
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2008 - 1:01am

((((HUGS))))

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-30-2008 - 2:24pm

Caren - I'm sorry for whatever other challenge you are also dealing with.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2008 - 1:30pm

KJ,

Vent away, this is the perfect place for it.

2010siggie.gif picture by NELSON311

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-05-2008 - 8:04pm
Thanks, Steph!!

Pages