Thanksgiving Prayer for the Infertile

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-26-2008 - 12:03pm

Father, I know that I am supposed to give thanks today. There are many things I have for which to be thankful. I want to thank you for my loving and devoted spouse who knows that sometimes the best thing to do is to hold me and say nothing. You have given me a wonderful family who is trying really hard to help me through this difficult time. This time around I have in-laws that comfort me. You have blessed me with two beautiful step-children. Sometimes it is very hard to be a step-mother but I am trying hard to act the way you would want me to. You have also given me a great job working with people that are understanding and supportive and who always acknowledge my hard work. Lord, for these things I am thankful.

But today, I am also sad. Today is a holiday for families. My family is not complete. I do not have my child. Today I long to hold in my arms my baby. I want to celebrate a first Thanksgiving and Christmas. I want to know the joy and sorrow of parenthood. Lord, some say that it is not your will for me to have a child. If I believe that, I have to believe that it is your will for unwanted babies to be aborted every year. I have to believe that you want children to be born with AIDS, addicted to heroin, abandoned to die and abused. Lord, I cannot believe that those things are your will. I wonder if these people have a direct line to you that I do not have.

So, once again, I pray the Serenity Prayer to you. Please give me the strength to accept the things I cannot change. With that strength, I also pray for the peace that passes all understanding. Please give me the courage to change the things that I can. If there is something I can do, show me the way, Lord, show me the way. But most of all, grant me your wisdom to know the difference. Please don't let me continue to fight a battle that cannot be won. I pray that you will help me to live child-free. Fill my heart so that the longing is no longer there. Comfort me when I can no longer bear the anguish that this loss causes me.

Father, forgive me my feelings of jealousy I get when I see another with their child. Forgive me my feelings of envy when I see a beautiful pregnant woman. Forgive me my feelings of self-doubt and failing. Forgive me for pulling away from you when I need you the most. I want to understand why I have been chosen to walk this path. This is a path that no woman should ever walk. Lord, you heard Sarah's prayer and gave her hope. I pray that you hear the prayer of all the infertile couples in the world. I pray for the safe, healthy pregnancy of my friends. I pray for your comforting arms to wrap around those who have lost a child this year.

Father, thank you once again for all that you have given me. I know that I am blessed beyond imagination. With your help, I can find peace. Amen.

© Copyright 1996, Louise C. Taylor

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-26-2008 - 12:31pm
Hugs Lauren. Well said. I pray you don't have to live child-free as you say.

Kelly

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-26-2008 - 9:28pm
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-27-2008 - 12:36am
Lauren that was a beautiful prayer.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-27-2008 - 2:27am

That is very touching prayer.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-29-2008 - 5:49pm
Thank you Lauren for posting this prayer.

Photobucket