IUI's are done, but sperm was much worse

iVillage Member
IUI's are done, but sperm was much worse
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 12:30pm

Hey everyone,

Most of you know that the meds I was on this cycle was supposed to produce 3-5 eggs, and that it only produced one 13mm follie by my CD 11 U/S.  The extra FSH I injected helped the follie grow nice and big to 22mm by Saturday.  So we triggered on Saturday afternoon and did a double IUI - one on Sunday morning and one Monday morning (today).

However, Justin's sperm was abismal.  His counts back in December were 15-23 million/mL with 50% motility.  Since November he has been taking a ton of supplements to improve his sperm.  Apparently they did they opposite.

His count on Sunday dropped drastically to 4 million/mL with 50% motility.  That was less than 20% of his last SA.  They could only recover 5 million sperm to inseminate.

His count today was up a tiny bit to 6.8 million/mL, but his motility plummetted to 9%.  In the whole sample there were originally only like 2.5 million motile, but the sperm washing woke some of them up (apparently little spermies love the sperm washing - its like a day at the spa for them).  Still, they could only recover 3.8 million sperm to inseminate.

So the sperm recoveries were horrid.  We're really disappointed.  We barely got the bare minimum that they like to do inseminations with (5 million). 

I have this constant sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.  How do things keep getting worse?  Why would his sperm be so bad now when it was only mild male factor infertility before?? 

I don't know how long we can keep doing these treatments when we're being constantly disappointed.  It'd be one thing if it was just the disappointment of not getting pregnant.  But we're also constantly having disappointment all month long.  Disappointing ultrasounds, disappointing bloodwork, and now disappointing sperm recoveries and IUI's.  I just don't know how to handle it.  I wish I could be put into a coma until I was pregnant.  I can't stand this constant feeling of devastation.

Lauren

TTC #1.  Me, 24 with ovarian dysfunction; DH, 27 with low sperm count and slightly low motility and morphology. We're trying to improve his count with FertilAid, L-Carnitine, L-Arginine, CoQ10, Niacin, Vitamin C, Folic Acid, and Omega 3.  HSG showed that my tubes are open.  Tried one cycle of 50mg Clomid - annovulatory.  Tried to do IUI #1 (unmedicated - against my will) in March'09.  No follicle growth occured.

Currently - BCP (Marvelon) from March 17 - 26 to bring on AF.  March 30 = CD1.  This cycle we will do IUI with Femara, Clomid, and Injectables (Bravelle).  First bloodwork and ultrasound on CD11 (April 9) = one stupid tiny 13mm follicle.  After all those drugs.  Took extra injections on CD11 and 12.  Second ultrasound on CD13 (April 11) = that follie grew to 22mm!  Triggered at 1:30pm on April 11.  Double IUI's on April 12 and 13.

Our Blog

After struggling with infertility, we welcomed our son Noah on March 18, 2010! Formerly a teacher, I am now a breastfeeding, babywearing, stay at home Mom, and I couldn't love it any more!

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 2:05pm

I am so sorry sweetie!

I am holding out hope for your one good egg and one of the 8.8 million sperm to find it.

Big Hugs!!!

Kelly

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 2:12pm

((HUGS))((HUGS))((HUGS))--- I am sorry you keep getting disappointing news as you go through your cycle.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 2:28pm

Aww, sweetie...I'm sorry things weren't as optimal as you had hoped.

Photobucket

Faith (35) Matt (40)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 4:03pm

Hey L,

I'm so sorry about more disappointment. I don't know what to tell you but I have an idea.

One idea- Maybe next time they could do

Me-30, DH newly 34, diagnosed with PCOS in Nov/Dec 2008. 3 Failed cycles of Clomid. (50mg, 100mg, 150mg) Started working with RE Nov 26. Asked for & started M

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 5:36pm
HUGS! I'm sorry for your constant disappointment but remember it only takes one egg and sperm so there is still hope! I am going to pray for you and cross my fingers!
Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 7:11pm

Thanks Kelly.

After struggling with infertility, we welcomed our son Noah on March 18, 2010! Formerly a teacher, I am now a breastfeeding, babywearing, stay at home Mom, and I couldn't love it any more!
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 7:16pm

Thanks, Lori :)

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 7:19pm

Hi Faith,

The nurse doing my IUI suggested that we think about IVF with ICSI.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 7:35pm

Hey Kitty,

Thanks for thinking of suggestions.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 7:35pm
Thanks Cheryl.

Pages