IUI #1 = BFN

iVillage Member
IUI #1 = BFN
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 11:25am

I had a little spotting yesterday but it went away & this morning my temp actually went up from the day before so I was hopeful but the spotting is back again so I figure that AF will be here by Thurs right on schedule.

I'm thinking that the timing of the IUI wasn't as ideal as I first thought.

The morning of the IUI my temp indicated that I already O'd.

I had the trigger at the doctors office at 5 pm on Tues so I should have O'd on Thurs at 5am (36 hrs later). I take my temp at 5:30 am everday & I don't think my temp would have shown that I O'd just half an hour after it happened. I think I might have O'd 24 hours after the shot. Is that possible?

An egg is only viable for 12 to 24 hours & I have read that age plays a part in how long it is viable for. So due to my age (almost 37) I assume that I am on the 12 hour end.

My IUI was at 9 am which was 40 hours after trigger. But If I O'd the night before at say 5 or 6 pm on Wed then the IUI was a waste of time.

The things I want to discuss with my doctor are:

The dosage of the trigger- maybe it wasn't strong enough & I O'd on my own.

The timing of the IUI - If the trigger did work maybe 40 hours past the trigger was too late but this has to the timing of the shot.

The timing of the shot - Most people I have talked to do a trigger between 8 & 10 pm. My doctors office wanted to do the shot hence the reason I had it at 5pm. But if that is how they do things & won't let me do it myself then I am going to have a huge issue with that. I don't know for certain that is the case but that is probably the biggest concern I have before we start IUI #2.

Sorry this is so long I am just so upset that we have to do this all over again so I am rambing a bit.

If you have gotten this far thanks for reading:)

Nat

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: naznh
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 11:49am

Nat,

I'm sorry.
I was told that after the trigger you can ovulate anywhere from 24 t 36 hours after the shot.

could you have your RE do a blood pregnancy test? Just to make sure.

could the spotting be implantation?? It can happen anywhere from 6 to 12 DPO.

(((hugs)))

Wendy 39yrs ~~ Kevin 43yrs
Joshua 5 1/2 yrs

*TTC since Jan.09...Diagnosis is PCOS
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 12:17pm

Nat, Hugs, I hope it is implantation spotting as Wendy mentioned. Especially since your temp went up, that is a good sign. I'm holding out hope for you, FX.

Timing with IUI is confusing to me too. My RE's office does trigger shots in the office as well and in the morning for an IUI about 25 hours later. Everything else I've read says 36 hours so why 25? Anyway, it sounds like you have a good list of questions for the RE before you go through another stressful cycle (if you need it).

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 4:05pm

Boo to bad vibes.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 4:41pm

Wendy,

I agree with you about the 24 to 36 hours after trigger.

If 24 hrs after the trigger was when I O'd I would have O'd at 5pm on Wed and if my eggs are only viable for 12hrs then having an IUI at 9am the next day would have been way too late.

I think I will wait to see if AF shows on Thursday. If she doesn't then I will call my doctor.

I am hoping it is implantation spotting but my past cycles lead me to believe otherwise. I am still holding on to a tiny bit of hope but not much else to do but wait to see if AF shows.

Nat

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 4:47pm

Thanks Kelly:)

I agree the timing is confusing.

Hopefully now that we have 1 IUI under our belt we will know what to expect & it won't be as stressful next time.

I am trying to

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 4:55pm

Terri,

I was actually feeling a little bit of O pain even before I got the trigger. As a matter of fact I took OPK's at 9am, 1pm & 4pm before I went in for my shot at 5pm just to make sure I didn't surge before the trigger.

I had an US

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-18-2009 - 11:01pm

Nat

(Hugs for the stress) Im sorry about the worrying. I hate when your not sure what is going on. So frustrating. I am just getting ready for my 1st IUI on thursday. Ive done the trigger before (with beding) and I remember sitting at my inlaws dinner table and I know I felt myself O. I looked at my watch and it was 36 hours after the trigger. But I didnt feel it the other tmes.

I dont know why you cant give yourself the shot? DH gives me all my shots. He does it cause Im

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 1:40am

Nat,
I'm so sorry! I really hope you're wrong and AF doesn't show. FX for you...

~~~~~

Photobucket

Me- 31, DH- 31; TTC #1 since Nov. '07; No known FI issues; DH has borderline/low motility
IUI #1 on Apr. 25--BFN; IUI #2 on May 22-- BFN; IUI#3 on June 19--BFN; IUI#4 on July 17--BFN; IUI#5 on Aug. 12
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Photobucket

Photobucket

ttc first

baby
happily married
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 8:48am
that's kind of what I was chalking my first one up to as well, experience! Any more signs of AF? AF STAY AWAY!

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-19-2009 - 8:51am

Cynthia,

I don't think me giving myself the shot will be an issue at least I hope it won't.

My IUI was on 8/6. I didn't POAS yet because usually when I have spotting then my temp drops & AF shows. I am still spotting today but my temp is still

Pregnancy%20ticker

Pages