Another day, another roadblock

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2006
Another day, another roadblock
9
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:12pm

Today I had a follow up with my RE. I haven't seen him in some time since I have been doing IUI's at my OB's.


My OB did an HSG back in May. She said the right tube was perfect but the left had some loculation after the dye spilled out. She said it wasn't an issue & it could have been there all along. I have always wondered if that was part of our IF issue.


The RE wanted to see the film from the HSG on this visit since on the last visit he only saw the report. After looking at the films he is pretty sure that I have a hydrosalpinx (distended tube) on my left ovary and this could be part of the reason for IF.


He said even if the other ovary is fine it is believed that hydrosalpinx fluid may have a toxic effect on the lining of the uterine cavity, or directly on the embryos, or both. It's also possible to have compromise from a "flushing" effect. Fluid from the tube can leak back into the uterine cavity and could displace the embryos from the correct area in the uterus if it occurs before the embyros are implanted.


So now I have to decide what to do next. If this IUI is a BFN which is very likely then I can move on to IVF but if I do in fact have a hydrosalpix it reduces IVF pregnancy rates by as much as 20%. So the other option is to have a lap done & remove the tube which is not needed for IVF anyway.


So if I don't need the tube for IVF & removing it will increase my odds then why do I have such a hard time deciding what to do?


Here I was all along thinking I was fine. Why does this have to be so hard?


On a better note the 2nd round of B/W I had done showed that my FSH is only a 6 (the 1st one back in May was a nine) not bad for an almost 37yr old Yay!!


Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading:)


Nat

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-30-2009
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:26pm

Hi Nat,

First the good stuff, your FSH level is really good!

And now, grrr the bad stuff. I can't believe that the person who read your results the first time would miss that. Can you see it on the pictures yourself? I've read it described as sausage-looking. From what I understand it is definitely preferable to have it removed as much as it is disheartening to hear. If it were me, I would go ahead and do it, it would be much worse to go through a failed ivf only to end up having to have it removed so that you can try again.

I'm sure this is all so upsetting since you had the test done 5 months ago and just now finding this out. I'm sorry:( Big hugs!

 

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Registered: 11-30-2005
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:27pm

I'm so sorry for the continued frustration and new diagnosis!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-07-2008
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:31pm

oh Nat!

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-31-2008
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 3:01pm

Hi Nat,


So sorry to read of another roadblock for you.

~Christine~


TTC since 6/2007. 
IVF #1 Jan 2009 - BFN
IVF# 2  April 2009 - BFN
IVF# 3 July

iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2006
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 3:02pm

Kelly,


The RE isn't 100% certain but he did show me a picture of one & it looks very similar.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 07-30-2009
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 3:13pm
Oh I understand now, he will really have to see it before he can confirm. Ugh, I'm so sorry. These setbacks are brutal. I know it doesn't help now, but hopefully the good that comes out of this is that perhaps this is the only roadblock and now that's it's discovered you can be on your way to holding your baby in your arms!

 

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2006
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 3:20pm

Lindsay,


That is a very good question as far as the IUI goes. I assume that if the tube isn't working anyway then chance are not worse than what is going on now anyway.


But on the other end if

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2006
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 3:37pm

Terri,


I think I am leaning more toward removing the tube. There seems to be more advantages of removing it than keeping it.


I just had a feeling something else other than DH motility was going on. All the doctors we have seen said his numbers weren't awful & yet we weren't getting PG on our own or with IUI (so far, fx). Next time I am going with my gut.


This cycle is so far so good but with DH traveling on my cd13 &14 I think I might O while he is away.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-23-2006
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 4:35pm

Christine,


Thanks:)


I don't blame my RE for not looking at the images before now. We had our initial appt with him in May & that was when he asked for the images which I sent him a week later. Then we decided to do IUI's with my OB since it is much closer to my job so I never made a follow up appt with the RE hoping that I would get PG via IUI. Today was my follow up.


The RE said that I could decide the next step. We could still do IVF with it there but I don't want to risk having a failed IVF that insurance will cover & having to end up doing the surgery anyway and then do another IVF that we would have to pay out of pocket for.


As you can tell I think I am going to get it removed. It just makes sense.


Nat


Pregnancy%20ticker