Another day, another roadblock
Find a Conversation
|Tue, 10-13-2009 - 2:12pm|
Today I had a follow up with my RE. I haven't seen him in some time since I have been doing IUI's at my OB's.
My OB did an HSG back in May. She said the right tube was perfect but the left had some loculation after the dye spilled out. She said it wasn't an issue & it could have been there all along. I have always wondered if that was part of our IF issue.
The RE wanted to see the film from the HSG on this visit since on the last visit he only saw the report. After looking at the films he is pretty sure that I have a hydrosalpinx (distended tube) on my left ovary and this could be part of the reason for IF.
He said even if the other ovary is fine it is believed that hydrosalpinx fluid may have a toxic effect on the lining of the uterine cavity, or directly on the embryos, or both. It's also possible to have compromise from a "flushing" effect. Fluid from the tube can leak back into the uterine cavity and could displace the embryos from the correct area in the uterus if it occurs before the embyros are implanted.
So now I have to decide what to do next. If this IUI is a BFN which is very likely then I can move on to IVF but if I do in fact have a hydrosalpix it reduces IVF pregnancy rates by as much as 20%. So the other option is to have a lap done & remove the tube which is not needed for IVF anyway.
So if I don't need the tube for IVF & removing it will increase my odds then why do I have such a hard time deciding what to do?
Here I was all along thinking I was fine. Why does this have to be so hard?
On a better note the 2nd round of B/W I had done showed that my FSH is only a 6 (the 1st one back in May was a nine) not bad for an almost 37yr old Yay!!
Sorry this is so long, thanks for reading:)