A little freaked out

iVillage Member
A little freaked out
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 9:30am

So tomorrow is my lap and earlier this week I met with my OB to go over what to expect. I was a little freaked out because she asked me to sign a consent form to remove both tubes.

Right now she thinks it is just the left one that might be a problem so I asked why I would need to have both removed.

She said that it is just a possible worst case scenario & just wanted to cover all our bases because if she sees that both tubes are distended then she would like to take them both.

DH was more freaked out than I was & wanted me to call my RE to check with him. I really don't see the need. If both tubes have a hydrosalpinx then neither of them is going to help us get PG.  Besides we have already decided to move forward with IVF at the end of Dec and I explained to DH that we don't need tubes for IVF.  I also told him that the presence of a hydrosalpinx reduces IVF success rates. So why keep either of them if they're going to be a problem.

The HSG showed that the right tube was normal and unless something has changed since then I don't think the right tube is going to be an issue.

Thanks for reading:)

Nat

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 9:38am

Of course you're freaked out, those consent forms are enough to scare anyone! It is all about CYA with those forms, let's face it we live in a litigious society.

You are so right, if both tubes are affected, as scary as it sounds, having both removed would give you a much better success rate. I hope it doesn't come to that! Like the tests show, you probably won't lose both it is just a precaution.

Hugs girl! You've got a whole group of us here praying for a good outcome tomorrow for you. Hugs to your DH too, I'm sure he is just scared for you.

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 9:57am

Thanks again Kelly:)

I agree we do live in

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 12:08pm
Good luck with your lap!! I might pick your brain after words on how it went cus I have to have one too. I hope all goes well and whatever happens is the best for you and DH and your chance to get pregnant!
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 12:29pm

Ugh, Nat, I so feel you on being freaked out....I had to sign the same consent form before we even KNEW if I had big issues with my tubes for my first lap.

Photobucket

Faith (35) Matt (40)

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 3:06pm

Pick away:)

I think it is always helpful to get info from others that have been thru certain procedures.

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 3:09pm

Faith,

OMG

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 8:04pm
Nat, that's understandable to be freaked out by the consent forms and your OB talking about the possibilty of having to remove

Photobucket