OT: Dog woes

iVillage Member
OT: Dog woes
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 4:51pm

Girls, I am a mess. My puppy bit the dog sitter who comes by everyday to let him out during the day while DH and I are at work. As in bit her hard, she went to the dr's to get it checked out. Thank God she is a total sweetheart, she is more worried about getting Boris in trouble than anything else. She also has a dog that exhibits aggressive behavior so she is understanding.

We don't know what to do! Boris bit my husband once before too, pretty hard. We've had a trainer come to the house and help us, he says he has "Resource Guarding" issues. Meaning he is protective over objects like bones or toys. The weird thing is I can stick my hand in his food bowl when he eats and he could care less. Anyway, my biggest fear is we can't correct it and we'd have to put him down. I've been crying all day thinking about it, I will be devastated if it comes to this. But we obviously couldn't feel comfortable bringing a child into the house (not that that is happening any time soon anyway).

Sorry so long, I am just so sad over this.

Kelly

I'm 37, DH is 41 and we are TTC #1. We've had 2 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

IUI #1 = BFN

IUI #2 (Aug 09) = BFN

On to IVF - stims start Sept 14th! 

IVF Canceled:( converted to IUI...

BFP!!!
13dpo - 65
15dpo - 128
19dpo - 495
23dpo - 1987
...another miscarriage
Sad and trying to decide what steps to take next.

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 4:58pm

Awe Kelly, I feel for you.

Photobucket

Faith (35) Matt (40)

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 5:15pm
Oh Kelly, I'm sorry you're having a hard time with Boris.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility

iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 5:31pm
I was also going to recommend Cesar Milan's book, His TV show is also very helpful.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 12-03-2009 - 6:25pm
Kelly, if you still need the dog to be let out maybe you could muzzle the dog while you're gone. That way when she comes to let the dog out, she's safe. Obviously you'll need to address the real problem, but at least he won't be biting the walker. We muzzle our dog(with a

Lori

DH and I are 33yrs old. TTC #1 since May08| July09- Dx POF|  Aug09- started Premarin, Metformin, and Lupron

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 9:07am

Kelly,

I am so sorry that this is happening with Boris.

The dog whisperer books are supposed to be really good.

Another resource you might want to check out is to see if you have an animal behaviorist in your area. They are supposed to be really great at figuring out why an animal is acting a certain way & figuring out corrective action.

I have a dog that is 5 yrs old and in just the past few years he has some slight tendencies to growl at us if we go near his food bowl or a new toy but he hasn't tried to

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 9:11am

Hi Nat,

The behaviorist is exactly what our vet recommended for us to try. He gave us a name of one in our area that he's worked with so we gave him a call and we're just waiting on a call back.

I just hope we can work it out, I just can't imagine not having him.

Kelly

I'm 38, DH is 42 and we are TTC #1. We've had 3 unexplained miscarriages and a bout with Asherman's Syndrome but we're determined.

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 9:27am

Kelly,

If I remember correctly

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 9:37am
Yes, he is about 7 months right now so I do have some hope that he will grow out of it. I'm not afraid to give him prozac if needed... shoot maybe we both need to be put on prozac LOL!

Kelly

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 9:41am
Lori, I hadn't even thought of that. Unbelievably the dog walker is still willing to take care of him but for the time being we don't feel comfortable with it. I am too worried. We use a dog daycare sometimes because he absolutely loves it, he gets to run and play all day (and he's totally pooped when we pick him up!) so we always have that option (a wee bit pricey to use multiple days a week though).

Kelly

BFP #4! - 1/
iVillage Member
Fri, 12-04-2009 - 9:45am
Kathy that really gives me some hope! Was your shepherd young when he showed aggression? DH and I love the cesar milan show and always joke that we'd love him to come to our house. I think I will need to pick up some of his books. I read so much conflicting advice on line it gets so confusing.

Kelly

BFP #4! - 1/

Pages