testing question

iVillage Member
Registered: 10-28-2009
testing question
5
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 5:23am

so after my 3rd anatomy scan we were still unable to get a 4 chamber heart view. Since i was diagnosed early with gestational diabetes my OB gave me a script for a fetal echocardiogram to make sure the babys heart is working correctly but said it was up to me if i wanted to use it. Im very torn. in the beg. i took every chance i had to see this little person to reassure myself everything was ok for instance the down syndrome screen chances of a 24 yr old having a baby with downs isnt very high but hell it was another u/s to ease my mind. now however Im too the point that between u/s every month and non stress tests every week and OB appointments every 3 weeks and calling in my sugars to the high risk OB every week im finding this pregnancy to be a full time job... and am finding it hard to make a call to schedule yet another test.


However the nurse in me says i know im at an increased risk for heart defects due to the Gest. diabetes. there are many babies born with them who no one expected. and to make it worse someone i work with just found out their unborn grandchild has a severe abnormality and will need an infant heart transplant. Her daughter is only a few years older than me.


so ladies alas the end of my rant what side of my brain should i listen too?

iVillage Member
Registered: 02-04-2008
In reply to: sorcet
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 9:19am

I guess the question is, what will make you less stressed? For me, I always want to know asap, because then if it's negative I can put it to bed, and if it's positive I can be prepared. Is this something they can test for later? If it was positive, would knowing earlier improve the outcome or allow you to take any action sooner to improve the outcome?

As far as feeling like your pregnancy is a full time job, I feel the same way and I don't have any complications! I think it is all-consuming no matter what. It's only one more test, so if that's the only thing holding you up I wouldn't decide based on that. I would do the test if knowing will be in the best interest of the baby. Good luck and I hope everything is okay!

 


Amber



Mason James was born 8/21/10, 8lbs 12 oz after close to 3 years of infertility.
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-31-2008
In reply to: sorcet
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 11:46am

Sorry you are going through all this! If it were me I would probably get the test but I think it really depends on what the results would mean. Are the results going to change anything... no, but do you want to know ahead of time if there is a concern... that is what only you and DH can decide.

Let me ask you this, if there is a heart problem is there a benefit in knowing at time of delivery? Would your doc want to have a specialist present?

I am h&p that all is perfect with your LO!!!

Kelly






Kelly


iVillage Member
Registered: 10-28-2009
In reply to: sorcet
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 3:21pm
My risk is very low because the diabetes is under control, and i feel like if they felt there was a real chance of something being wrong they wouldnt have given me the option. Ill probably get it done just in case. The worry really doesnt ever end. Thanks for your input !
iVillage Member
Registered: 01-31-2008
In reply to: sorcet
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 4:11pm
Very good point, that would definitely sway my decision.
Kelly






Kelly


iVillage Member
Registered: 02-11-2008
In reply to: sorcet
Sun, 07-18-2010 - 11:19am
It is an awful lot to keep track of between appointments and calls and everything else.

Isabel
Mom to Sebastian Robert after 3+ years of infertility