What is your genre?

Non-fiction

What is your target?

Young adults/adults

Teens

What length?

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 8:00am
What will you write about? I live and work in a company and country with diverse cultures. I believe that this could interest my readers and ultimately my non-fiction essays could become work of fiction: a short story or novel.

What will be your work's premise? I would like to convey the message that even living in

a third world country has its perks (No stress, traffic, queues or pollution) I believe that there are readers out there who will find the descriptions of life in West Africa facinating; I do...

What genre offers the best optio to showcase both your passion and your premise. Non-fiction to begin with.

What is your target length and why? 1500 words - describes a chapter without becoming a boring ramble.

Who is your target audience and why? Adults (including from 24 year olds) They would be able to apply for work in countries such as Guinea, Mali, Ghana after completing their studies.

Jo- the other half of a cat-mad duo

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 8:06am
Hi, I love the premise. I firmly bellieve it's true.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 8:08am
Whoo hoo, Jo, that sounds like a great idea.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 6:54pm

Hi, Spirituallyconnected!

Thanks for joining us.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 6:58pm

Jo,

You have certainly thought this out, and I think that you have a good plan.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2004 - 9:52pm
What will you write about? How people express and withhold love and for what reasons.

What will be your work's premise? Love is simple. Our rules complicate it.

Which genre offers the best option to showcase both your passion and your premise? Why?

What is your target length? Why? Novel. There are too many intricacies to explore, and it would require some page length

Who is your target audience? Why? 18-45. the characters will fall into that age range, and i think that an older audience might not identify with what i mean (but i could be jumping the gun). it would be inappropriate for young kids, though

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2004 - 1:04am
Sounds good, hon. I think by genre, we want to know if it is fiction or non-fiction. BTW, I am over 45...lol.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2004 - 4:13am
Hi Eleyne

I work in th exploration department of the company. The geologists, all aged from mid-twenties to thirties, come to Africa for the adventure. I peruse the mining magazines such as Goldmining Journal and Paydirt in order to learn about the serious side of life and mining on the entire African continent. Often I read about the Goldfields of the Free State which is only 125km from my home town in South Africa, which tugs at the homesick heartstrings.

So far I have only written about life on camp: Yvonne suggested I write a chapter about each happening, which is the line I am trying to follow. Last month we had a "wedding" as a send-off to a couple of mining engineers who were married this past weekend in Perth while in their break. During the Olympics (in Athens) we had the Lero Olympics - what fun. The company poured its 1000th gold bar three weeks ago, the staff being rewarded with a day off.

As we have very little pollution, this is big sky country. Yesterday, driving to work, the sunrise through a haze of mist, actually made me catch my breath. Dh and I are avid birdwatchers. While there is no wildlife remaining here, the birds are in abundance and mostly different to what we know in Southern Africa.

Perhaps it is obvious that I am very happy to be here. I have an interesting job (I am off to the laboratory in five minutes to check gold/soil samples being milled and placed into envelopes) I am with my soul mate and life in general is most pleasant.

Thanks for your kind words.

Hugs

JO

Jo- the other half of a cat-mad duo

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-04-2004 - 11:04am
What will you write about? I would love to write about love, and family and magic, if I could put some history and fact to it, even better

What will be your work's premise? Magic and love are real but they can’t fix the world by themselves.

Which genre offers the best option to showcase both your passion and your premise? Why?

Fantasy. This way I can explore possibilities along with reality.

What is your target length? Why? I would love to write a novel, but I can make myself to go over a short story or even just a few scenes.

Who is your target audience? Why? Adults. All my characters have more than 25 years old.

Pages