All of a sudden I am panicking.....help.

iVillage Member
All of a sudden I am panicking.....help.
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 7:34am
Am terrified all of a sudden. Now that I am on day 12 of BCP's and starting Lurpon this Sunday...I realize I am ACTUALLY doing this! First IVF cycle and this is almost a reality. Anyway, I have not stopped fretting since a few days ago about what if I get pg. with triplets. I could handle twins...but tripplets would be VERY difficult. The plan is to put 3 embies back in...but what if all three take? But what if we DON'T put in three and we lessen our chances of even ONE taking. I have NO fertility issues that we know of to KEEP me from getting pg...again we are doing IVF due to dh's vasectomy four years ago. All my tests came back good.

Will I ever stop second guessing myself as to number of embies or even having more babies???

Sydney

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 1:25pm
Sydney:

We spent SO many hours worrying about how many embryos to transfer as I get pregnant easily (this is pregnancy #6)but miscarry most of the time. We drove ourseleves CRAZY! When transfer actually arrived, we only had ONE healthy embryo to transfer (we did PGD to rule out chromosomal problems) so all that worrying was for nothing. The one embryo took and I am currently 13 weeks pregnant with one baby. My point is, you never know how this process will work out and usually your doctor or, in my case, God, will make most of the choices. If you are honestly only prepared the have twins and you have no fertility issues, maybe you should only transfer 2. My understanding is that it depends on how many total embryos you have. If you have only 3, they'll transfer all 3 rather than freezing one. But, if you have 4 or more, they might put in only 2 and freeze the rest. Good luck!

Laurie

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 12:50pm
Sydney - I am sending along big hugs and deep breaths for you so you can relax a bit. The start of this journey is a nerve wracking one but believe me in no time it will be as comfortable as putting on ...your socks! Just take it one day at a time. marvel in how your body works and don't forget to breathe>

CL~Kris

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 10:51am
I don't think that any of us haven't thought the same thing you're feeling. Twins are cool but triplets are down right scary! Do you lower your risk of multiples while lowering your risk of getting pregnant? The only reassurance I can give you is I've been on the IVF boards since 1998 and most everyone I know of transfers 3+ embies and back in the "old days" people didn't do blast transfers. On all of those boards I only know 3 people with triplets! There were several more that got pregnant with triplets but ended up losing one of them very early on.

Not sure if that helps but we all know exactly what you're feeling. Sounds like your cycle is well on the way. Good luck!

Becca

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 9:15am
Been there done that, doing it again...let's see if I can help! I went through the same emotions that you are going through with my first IVF. Being over 40 at the time, they put back in 5 embies, but some were only 4 cells, etc - my biggest was 6 and we think that was my daughter. Anyhoo, while I wasn't worried about multiples because of my age, I did wonder am I doing the right thing? I think a lot of it has to do with all the stuff we go through to get here. Some people just have sex, not a lot of thinking with that option, you just do it (pardon the pun). :) So we have this big build up to get there.

I am scheduled to start lupron and stims simultaneously on 4/2, and I told myself this time I would be calm. Well, I am so much better than last time, but still getting more nervous than I thought I would. Anyway, know that the Dr's should be doing their best to achieve one baby - if you think they are being too aggresive, ask them why? Is it your age? Do they have some FSH numbers that make them think this way? What is driving their 3 embie implant. You have a right to know as you should be right there in this decision. Ask them, so you can stop worrying - I know easer said that done! :)

Try to breath deep and know that we are all here for you!

Hope this helps!

Kris

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:54am
Sydney,

This is something that I struggled with during my last ivf (successful) I was petrified of even having twins. We always thought that we would make it to blast and then only transfer 1. Well the embies had other plans and we had to do a 3dt. My RE suggested putting back 2 - so we did 2, 8 cell embies. I held my breath after the BFP until the first us - and was so relieved when the tech said she only saw one sac. My dh had a vasecotomy too, and I was 28 at the time with no IF issues. You really have to do what you feel most comfortable with. Less stress is likely to help with implantation, so if you think you'll be less stressed if you go with 2 than with 3, it might be worth it. In the end, you probably don't want to make a decision until you know how the embies are doing - and that's still a couple of weeks away, so if you can try not to worry about it too much now it'll probably help your whole cycle!

Sending you lots of hugs,

Heather

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:39am
Sydney,

I totally understand your feelings and believe me, they're normal! I transferred three embies (5dt, 1 blast and 2 morulas). DH and I left scared to death we would get PG with triplets, especially since a VR was our only known fertility problem also. (we both carry CF mutations, but that has nothing to do with our fertility). Well, I didn't get PG with any. I'm NOT trying to scare you...given your high fertility before the VR, you've got an excellent chance of getting pregnant with one or two babies. But the chance of triplets is likely less than 5%., so try not to worry too much about it. Are you doing a three-day or five-day transfer?

The one thing I'm glad about is that I did transfer 3. Had I only transferred 2, I would have beaten myself up over whether that's the reason I didn't get pregnant...I'd have been asking myself constantly, "What if I'd transferred that third embie and that was the one that took?" I'm really grateful that I at least alleviated that concern. At least with 3, I gave myself the best chance, while still minimizing as much as possible the chance of triplets.

You have been through so much and you so deserve to get pregnant (and really deserve a little girl or two to round out your family!)

Good luck and don't worry about the Lurpon shots--they're painless and a breeze!

Alyse

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-27-2003 - 8:23am
Hi Sydney...I'm almost in the exact same boat as you are. I'm on cd 15 of bcps and starting Lupron tonite for my 1st IVF cycle. Although we are doing it for basically unexplained female infertility...our biggest dilemma is how many embryos to put back as well...we want to increase our chances by putting back 3, twins would be fine, but triplets is another story...but I feel like putting back 2 would definitely lessen our chances. I woke up pretty nervous and anxious today too, we're actually doing this! I'm trying to stay positive tho..I don't really have any answers for you, just wanted you to know that I know how you're feeling!!

GL and keep us posted...looks like we may be CBs

Michelle