Is IVF tax ded. in Michigan?......

iVillage Member
Is IVF tax ded. in Michigan?......
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 3:43pm
I saw someone else ask about another state...anyone know if it's all tax deductable here in Michigan? Do you claim this on STATE or Federals? We have part insurance coverage but we are paying at least $8000 out of pocket.

Thanks for any info for future reference.

Sydney

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-28-2003 - 4:40pm
Sydney, I consider myself an expert (unofficially) on this subject. We've been deducting medical expenses for many years and I've learned a lot from our accountant. As far as Federal Taxes are concerned, any medical expenses are tax deductible. Including, mileage to and from appointments, blood work, etc. Also, if you're like me, I have to travel 3 hours roundtrip and often end up in another city over meal times, so the expense of the meal is also deductible, and lodging if that's necessary. Long distance phone charges to doctors, clinics, etc. are also deductible. Can you tell I've been doing this for a lot of years?? LOL

I have always deducted medical expenses.... the taxing authority doesn't care if you paid a doctor to remove a wart or get you pregnant. A legitimate medical expense is deductible. Of course, if your expenses are low and your income is high, you may not get the deduction - there's an equation that accountants use which is that the expenses must be $1.00 more than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income. For example: if your income is $100,000 (I'm using round numbers here to make it easier!), your medical expenses must exceed $7,501. We've had expenses in excess of $10,000 each year for many, many years so we've always gotten our deduction.

As far as the state goes, most states honor what the federals accept. Michigan is one of those states (I don't know them all, but I asked my accountant for you!).

Good luck! An expense of $8,000 like you mentioned, plus the mileage, and other expenses should help on your taxes!

Christine