Need help with timeline for retrival..m

iVillage Member
Need help with timeline for retrival..m
Sat, 03-29-2003 - 7:08am
Of course the fact that I can only get a few words in as my title here for my topic makes it hard to get people to OPEN my post...but my frustration about these "new" boards isn't my topic of the day...

Today is day 14 of BCP's for me. I start Lupron tomorrow. I was told to take the pills until they are all gone. So that would be on April 5th (or day 21)...and to continue Lupron until told to stop.

I have my first ultrasound scheduled for April 19th, at 9:30am. I ASSUME and think I remember her saying it's to check to see if all is quiet. OK..this is about where all the confusion and guessing is coming in.

Do I then start stims if all IS quiet? Or am I still waiting for AF. I am a bit confused because I thought that you waited until AF showed up again after starting Lupron. I am due (without the Lupron delay) to start AF around April 12, 13 or 14 but was told the Lupron generally holds AF off a week so when would THAT make AF due. Do they consider a week SEVEN days or five working??? I am ASSUMING that I would be due with AF then around April 18th or 19th. I was TOLD to expect to be seen Easter weekend for monitoring. (Ultrasounds).

Again....confused. Does this mean I would be given stims the week of the 10th with the first ultrasound if they saw all was quiet...and then easter weekend they go in to see if I'm ready to retrieve? Because I am not due for AF until so late I think I have this ALL wrong.

Could someone look at a calender with my dates and try to help me figure out which week will MOST likely be my retrival and transfer week. I did read that if stims are begun on a Saturday you would return for monitoring and blood tests on the following Weds and Friday mornings. OR If starting stims on Sunday, would return on Thursday and Saturday mornings.

It tells me to call office on day 1 after starting AF (after being on Lupron) and if it sees that all is quiet I will be told to start stims. BUT if that's my April 10th ultrasound how can they do that BEFORE AF is due??? I am SO confused.

Thanks everyone.....and hope THIS one posts

Sydney

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 11:18am
I hate this. I posted this and still no responses. Do I blame it on the new board format? I start Lupron tonight and very well could have questions that I need answered quick and I totally feel as if I won't be able to come here for those "quick" answers due to the board changes. I am so mad at iVillage for doing this. People love these boards and I never heard anyone complain that would make such a DRASTIC change to them. Dam$ right that I'm upset. I have been at iVillage for over 4 years now and feel like we've been betrayed. Anyway..thanks for letting me vent since I've had a horrible day with grouchy, crying children today as well.

Sydney

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 12:16pm
Syndey, Sorry you're not getting more help. I feel confident you can blame it on the new format along with it being a weekend. The only person that can answer your question is your doctor. There are many different ways to suppress and stimulate and your doctor has in her head (and hopefully in your chart) what she wants you to do. Different protocols require different steps once you stop bcp. I did mdl and started stims a week after stopping the pill, so without knowing the protocol and what changes your doctor might want to make to any standard protocol, I can't answer the question . I would reccommend if you need a question answered before you start a part of your protocol that you page the RE on call. They have to expect these calls if they're not going to fully inform you of your protocol. I hope you get this worked out soon. It sounds like it's causing you alot of angst. Good luck. Kris

Sydney, when I go back and read your post I see you have several questions, not just when your RT/TR will be. The one question I can answer is that yes, lupron does frequently delay the onset of AF. If you are doing a straightforward regular lupron+fsh cycle, then maybe someone who is familiar with that can help you. I'm only familiar with the mdl timeline.

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 4:40pm
Sydney~

I do not have any answers for you as I have not yet done an IVF cycle, but, if I were you I would call my doctor's office and ask them when to expect AF and about the beginning of stims. They are getting paid big money so don't be afraid to "bother" them with your questions! I'm sure it is all somewhat up in the air because it seems everyone responds differently to the medications. Otherwise, I'm sure they will give this information to you at your first u/s.

Good luck to you! I hope it all goes as smooth as silk!

~AmyH

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-30-2003 - 6:07pm
Hi Sydney, I can share with you my time frame:

Day 21 of BCP was March 8, and that is when I started Lupron. I took Lupron for a total of 17 days. AF came on March 12. I started stims (Gonal F) on March 15, and took them for a total of 10 days (I was told that people average 8-12 days of stims). So my last Lupron and GoanlF was March 24. I triggered on March 25, and the RT was March 27. I go for TR on April 1 (5 day b/c we are doing PGD). First beta will be April 11 (that would be the day if it was a 3-day TR as well). I had BW/US appts on: 3/14 (to make sure all is calm), 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 (they had me come daily toward the end to closely monitor the folie growth and E2 level). At the beginning of BCP I asked what time frame to expect and they told me what an average cycle is, and mine was right on track.

Good luck to you!

Julie