Newbie starting Clomid

iVillage Member
Newbie starting Clomid
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 12:14pm
I was dx w/severe endo, over 2 years ago. I have had 2 laps and am seen by an RE and an OB/gyn. My RE has only suggested IVF because he thinks it's the only way I will conceive, which may be true. However, my ins doesn't cover anything to do w/infertility, so right now we just can't do it. My ob thinks I should try clomid, because she feels if it doesn't work that maybe it's true that IVF is the only option and why not try something for the time being. She will monitor me very closely due to a very small endometrioma that keeps reoccuring but feels that the clomid won't make it worse. I am a little concerned since I haven't had a lot of pain since my last lap a year ago and don't know if I will be in more pain if I start. Anyone w/experience using clomid that has endo and/or cysts?

TIA,

Becky
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 1:12pm
Becky~

I don't have any experience with endo, but I bet there are several ladies on the TTC board for clomid users that have experience. You might want to try that board to see how they did on a clomid cycle. Best of luck to you in your TTC journey!

Julie
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-15-2003 - 7:07pm
Becky,

I understand your pain, confusion, and heart ache. I also have sever endo. I have done lupron and have had two laps. After I did lupron we were told to try clomid. The second month I thought I was mis-carring because my cycle was so bad, went to the emergency room and was told I was just having bad cramps. I don't want to scare you but no one every told me that fertility drugs would aggervate my endo. Everyone is different and I hope that this works for you and that you do not have the pain that I did. After 5 months of Clomid and no luck we had another Lap and then did our first IVF 3 months later. It ended in a BFN result. We just got through with our 2nd IVF and it ended in a chemical pg. Sad but we were happy that at least something had happened. We have 14 beautiful frozen embys from that cycle and are looking forward to using them.

I have found a natual dietary supplement that has really helped me with my endo. I started taking this supplement in Sept of 2002 and can honestly say that it is doing something. I use to be down for 4 days during my cycle lupped up on pain pills but know I can manage on Motrin without any down time. I do not have consistance pain like before. Just your mild cramps here and there, with the first day of my cycle being the worst. The company that sells it is called MANNATECH. I take a antioxident (Phyt-aloe) and a powerder called "Ambrotose." The powder is made from the middle of the aloe plant. This is suppose to help with any immune problems and support cell communtication. ENDO is a immune problem, so my husband and I figured we have tried everything else why not this. When I noticed a difference we were suprised. Anyways don't want to be a sales lady or anything, but wanted to give you info that I wished someone would of told me so that when the pain came at least I would have been prepared for it. The way I look at it is if I can a baby the PAIN will be all WORTH IT!!!. Good luck with your treatment and I hope you and your husband achieve your dreams of becoming parents.

Hugs,

Melanie 28 DH 35 TTC#1 for 3 years.

PS: If you have any other questions or just want to talk you can email me at melanie.damron@acs-inc.com.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-16-2003 - 5:22pm
Becky,

At the time I first took Clomid, I didn't know it, but I had moderate endo. Anyway, I took Clomid one cycle with no IUI or IVF, and I got pregnant with our son. In trying for our second child, we tried for one year before going to the dr., and they right away put me on Clomid again. I have tried it 5 or 6 times this time around, and no luck. I have never had any pain from taking it, other than some ovary pain which was just from multiple follicles. I have never had lupron for the endo, and I did have it removed during a lap two years ago. The only pain I remember from my endo anyway, was when I was in my teens and early 20's, when I would get severe menstrual cramps. Once I started BCP's years back, I never had menstrual cramps again, even after going off of them. I hope that helps. I know I am different than many endo sufferers in that I really had no pain except for years ago. Good luck.

Gina

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-19-2003 - 8:54am
I do and it was not good sorry to say. I did clomid with an OB before I even knew what an RE was and how they could help me. I believed my OB that clomid was the starting point. I have severe endo and am cyst prone. I have had two emergency surgeries due to large chocolate cysts. Four surgeries total.

I was not monitored well when taking the clomid (I didn't know any better at the time) and failed cycle after failed cycle my OB just kept upping the doseage. Well then I found an RE and the first thing he did was a scan and I had a cyst that was 120 x 77 mm. He told me someone with my history of cysts should have NEVER been put on clomid. He was horrified that an OB would know my history and not monitor me with sonos.

Also, Clomid works with your whole system. It affects your pituitary gland and gave me terrible side effects. Headache, moody, Oh my with the moodyness, etc. It really is not a drug to just fool around with.

I am sorry about your insurance not covering your IF treatment. Mine didn't either. We just started saving. Mine did cover "testing and treatment" so they would pay for the initial blood tests, my HSG, my DH's sperm analysis and any scans prior to the cycle starting. Maybe you can see if your insurance will at least cover those tests.

I know you want to feel like you are doing "something", I have been where you are believe me but after what I have been through, it upsets me to hear OB's throw clomid to people like it can't hurt you because it can.

Why did RE say IVF only? Have you had a HSG? Was it clear? My endo ate away at my tubes and that is why IVF was/is our only option.

End of my story is that that endo affected my tubes so badly that I had hydrosalpinx tubes (fluid in the tubes that can be toxic to embryos) I had my tubes cauterized at the uterus.

Also, some RE's have financial plans now and guarantee type plans. Pay more than the cost of one but less than the cost of two and get both. It depends on the RE. Mine had a pay for two get three.

Sincere best wishes.

Gina

2 laps, 2 laporotomies, severe endo, cyst prone, hydrosalpinx, 5 IVF's, 1 FET, 2 m/c's, 1 DS (23 mo) and currently pg with #2 (21 weeks today)