? for those have been successful w/ IVF

iVillage Member
? for those have been successful w/ IVF
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 3:07pm
My husband and I have just completed our first IVF cycle. The PG test came back negative. We were very hopeful and very disappointed when we received the news. I thought the retrieval went O.K. and we transfered (3) 8 cell embryos. I don't know any one that has gone through IVF. I know what the doctors have said about the conception rate but I would like to hear from women that have experienced this very emontial procedure. How many cycles did it take for you to concieve? Do you have any advice for a IVF newcomer?

Larren

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 8:59am
Hi Larren. I was sorry to read that your pg test came back negative. My husband and I know exactly how you both feel, we've been trying for 7 long years (actually we took over a year off because it got to be too much emotionally). I've had 3 unsuccessful IVF cycles, we only seem to get as far as the transfer.....then we get the bad news. One thing that I have learned over these years is not to blame yourself. Keep a positive attitude and look at each month as another chance to try again. They say God helps those who help themselves and I believe as long as we keep trying to help ourselves during these emotional and stressful times and look to him for help he will eventually answer our prayers. Best of Luck to you! Kathy S.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-07-2003 - 7:57pm
HI Larren,

Your right, it's a roller coaster ride so hang on!!I was very lucky and got pregnant with my second cycle doing ivf. I have 2 boys there going to be 10 months old this month. The only advice that I can give is have total faith and if this is what you really want keep doing it, no matter what. I know that at times it seems fruitless but you have to keep going. I starting TTC in 2000 and finally had my babies in 2002 it was long frustrating but well worth it. The ladies here on the board are wonderful and very helpful, we all know what we are all going thru. Good luck my friend and I will keep you in my prayers.

love sumera

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 9:20am
Thank you for your reply. We didn't have any to freeze. I only had 5 eggs retrieved and 3 fertilized so we transferred all 3. I know there is no garenntee but it is helpful to hear that I am not alone. Thank you for the web site.

Best wishes,

Larren

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 9:40am
Thank you for your reply Kathy. Are you going to keep trying? If so, I hope your next IVF transfer is successful. About 3 days after our transfer while my husband was prepareing to give me a shot, I told him that anyone who goes to such measures (Shots-2 or 4 times a day, labs every other day, ultrasounds, the emotional aspect and the thousands of dollars spent)really deserves to have at least one child. I try not to blame myself but it is really hard not to. Best of luck to you and your husband. Please let me know when you prayers are answered.
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 10:02am
It is so good to hear a success story. After our negative pregnancy test, I told my husband that I thought we should stop trying. Of course time heals and we are now looking towards #2. I am trying to be very hopeful about IVF #2. Good luck with your boys. Do you think you might try again?

Best Wishes,

Larren

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-08-2003 - 5:44pm
Larren,

My husband & I tried "naturally", then did 7 inseminations & then IVF. The first IVF cycle (transferred 2 good looking fert. eggs) was unsuccessful & I totally lost it when I got the call. Even though we knew IVF is not a sure thing, it's hard to believe it won't work every time. The dr. suggested we go ahead & try a frozen cycle even though the success rate was around 1/2 what it was with fresh. They transferred 2 not-so-great eggs & 1 blastocyst & it worked! We just had our son a month ago.

My advice would be to stay positive & not get discouraged. It's easy to get discouraged but an optimistic attitude will only increase your chances (saw an article somewhere on iVillage, I think, to this effect). Know that while there are many stages from beginning to try to get pg to actually having a baby, the fact that you & hubby are able to create healthy fert. eggs puts you ahead of the game. All the best & believe it can happen!

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-09-2003 - 11:46pm
Lauren,

We were successful on our 1st IVF cycle and Nia was born 12/26/01 (everyone says we were so lucky). We have been trying naturally for the last six months and nothing. We are going back try a frozen IVF cycle and pray it works. I understand your frustrations, but remember everything happens for a reason and you will get your bundle of joy in due time. Good luck.

Regina
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-14-2003 - 10:38am
Lauren, Thank you for you message. You are so right about staying positive. We are going to start IVF #2 very soon, the doctor wants to put me on 3 months of Lupron. We might wait another month before starting #2. The cost will increase due to an increase in meds. and I think I need a little more healing time.

Hope everything goes well with your son.