Considering IVF

iVillage Member
Considering IVF
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 10:30pm
Hi, I have been ttc#1 for over 2 yrs. It is 6 days since my 4th IUI with donor sperm (this cycle I was on clomid & had profasi trigger). My Dr has said he'll do one more cycle with clomid and if that doesn't work, we'll have to look at IVF. Can anyone pls update me on the IVF procedure as I have heard some horror stories re egg retrieval (the pain!) and would like to hear the honest truth. Also, are you offered pain relief and what type? How easy is it for DH to give the needles & how often are these done each cycle? Do they use clomid & a trigger to pinpoint exact ovulation? Any feedback would be welcomed to assist me & my DH in this very emotional decision.
iVillage Member
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 1:50am
Take a seat, gonna be a long and interesting read:

I am currently underway for IVF. Failed #1 IUI 04/12. I am 34, DH is 44, gotta get going before we are old enough to be grandparents!! No more time to try for the IUI. I have been on clomid 150mg for 10 mos. Couldn't pinpoint day of O while on clomid. I did the falopian tube investigation to see if tubes were blocked before IUI procedure. They were clear. Did ultrasounds to monitor the follies to do the IUI. Not sure why I didn't get pg with the IUI. RE recommended IVF with ICSI and Assit. Egg Hatching since DH's sperm count inconsistent. Here is the basic steps for IVF, I am not an RE, but this is what I will be doing:

1. Go on BCP to stop O for about 6-8 weeks.

2. Do a sonohystegram to check for cysts/pollops in uterus and do mock transfer.

3. Shots begin about a month into taking the Pill. Start with 1 injection in Am each day with Lupron-hurts some and not others. These continue till RT date. I haven't gotten to this state yet.

4. After about 5 days Lupron shots, begin adding shots for GonalF or Follistim (preferably Gonal less stinging) and Repronex or Pergonal in the PM each day. Some say the Repronex/Pegonal stings because it is oil based. These shots continue till RT date. I will find out if painful soon enought, a little nervous, but so willing to go through the pain. The RE/nurse will be giving us a lesson gpt DH to do the injections.

5. Taking baby aspirins during the timeframe of the shots will help with blood clots and both partners taking antiobidics to prevent infection during this time period as well. Pre Natal vitamins are also highly recommended when first undergoing the IVF.

6. Ultra sounds/blood work for E2 usually begin when beginning all 3 injection cycles and they run usually every 3 or 4 days during the shots to monitor the eggs, follies and uterus linging.

7. They put you under anesthesia and you are sleeping when they do the RT. I have been told I might be a little sore after retrieval, suggested to rest for the day after the procedure and can go back to work the next day.

8. TR is just like the IUI-no problem with any pain. Then stay off feet for 5 days and wish for thick sticky lining for the emby to take.

I hope this helps you for your infor. gathering.

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 5:14pm
Hi,

I just finished up my first IVF cycle (and last, I hope) and am waiting for 5/27 for the pregnancy test. I had my done with an excellent doctor in NYC, he had an article about him in the NY Times recently. Anyway, the transfer was no problem. The anaesthesiologist was great, he explained everything and first inserted the IV, gave me something to relax and then put a mask on me which quickly knocked me out. I was out for about 25 minutes and felt fine when I woke up. My ovaries were a bit sore for a few days later, they retrieved 16 follicles but I had no side effects from the anaesthesia. The transfer was another thing, I had it done this past Friday. I was completely awake and the doctor told me it was like a pap smear, yeah, a pap smear done with a shovel. It hurt so bad that I had tears coming out. Good thing my husband was standing next to me, I think I cut of the circulation in his hands. It only took about 10 or 15 minutes to do but between the pain from the speculum and the pain inserting the catheter, it felt like much more. But I gather that every woman's experiences are different. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sue