New To the board and have some questions

iVillage Member
New To the board and have some questions
Wed, 06-04-2003 - 10:32pm
HI! My name is Josephine, I usually post on regional Long Island board. I started my first IVF cycle 4 weeks ago. I started stimulation last wednesday and have had at least 6 sonos in the last 3 weeks. On Tuesday, the P.A. said she could not find my ovary (I have only one) and suggested the Dr. see me. I had a sono on Sunday and was told by the other PA that I had 3 measureable follicles and more that looked promising. How then in 2 days can they "loose" my ovary! Now I saw the Dr. today and he said he couldn't find it either and said if by Sunday they could not see anything they won't be able to do the IVF and will have to do IUI instead. He also suggested that my weight is a factor (I am overweight, but he said nothing about that until now, and our initial consult with him was in January!) I am so depressed - I had 5 IUI's last year, and obviously they did not take. I know I can get pregnant - we have a 6 year old - but I don't know why in the last two years nothing has worked! I guess what I am asking for is some advice - has this happened to any of you, or someone you know? I feel like I've been kicked in the gut, because I know the IUI will most likely not work, alhtough the Dr. said last year was without hyper-stimulation, just the HCG shot.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Jo
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 8:16am
Hi Jo

I just finished an unsuccessful IVF cycle and during the last couple of sonograms, they were unable to locate one of my ovaries as well. I am overweight too but the doc never said that was an issue even when he couldn't locate the ovary. The retrieval went fine but the transfer seemed to be a problem as the doc had difficulty inserting the catheter into my cervix, he couldn't find the proper positioning and had to use different size speculums. This hurt horribly. I wonder now if that was the reason why the IVF was unsuccessful but I know the doc would never say. They did say we could try again right away since I responded well to the meds so we're going to try again my next menstrual cycle. Obviously, I won't be losing alot of weight between now and 3 weeks from now but I'm just going to keep exercising. The first doctor who did most of the ultrasounds told us that it is not uncommon for the ovary to move around especially since everything is so swollen from the meds. I'm not a doctor so I believe that doctor, he was very good.

Sorry for the babbling, I'm still in shock about IVF #1.

Good luck

Sue

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-05-2003 - 10:28pm
Hi Sue!

I'm sorry about the first cycle! I hope you have a much better outcome the next time! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for your insights - now that I'm thinking more clearly (well, as clearly as I can on all these meds!)I am going to talk to the doc tomorrow, after my next sono. I'm not going to take no for an answer - a friend of mine told me that there is an ultra-sensitve sono machine that may compensate for that. I found it so weird that one day they could see it and then two days later they can't! I never thought about the swelling from the meds! Anyway, thanks for the advice and keep the positive vibes flowing for both of us!

Jo
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 4:17pm
Hi Josephine~ Your post caught my eye. I too live on Long Island and have a son named Matt. If you are interested you can email me where I have a link to a very friendly board. Mminogue@acedsl.com. If you don't I wish you luck with your IVF journey. Hugs Sue
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-06-2003 - 4:25pm
To Jo~ CYEmail