Early preg test accuracy???

iVillage Member
Early preg test accuracy???
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 10:45am
I had my transfer done on 7/13 and I am schedualed for my blood pregnancy test for tomorrow, 7/25, I went to the doctor for something totally unrelated, and she had to do some blood work, so she went ahead and did a preg. test...it was positive! Is this too early? Could the HCG from my shot before my retrievel still be there? I think it means we are having a baby...or two! I am thrilled, let me know what you think about the accuracy of these tests!~
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 6:12pm
Hello Kelly,

I am new to this board but have been posting at iparenting for 3 years now. TTC 3 years also. I will be starting IVF in September, but have done Inj/IUI, clomid, Lap for Endo, etc. Considering when you had your HCG shot around the 10th I am thinking before your retrieval...it would have been 14 days past when the doc did the blood test. And if your levels were exceptionally high that would definitely indicate a positive result! My doc always told me at 12-14 days after hcg shot it would be out of my system. Plus, this doc today would have know about the hcg and would take that into consideration, so hence she/he wouldn't tell you it's + if they had doubts of the accuracy.

I hope this helps ease your mind. Enjoy your new pregnancy and Congrats!!

~Missy

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-24-2003 - 8:17pm
I didnt get the levels, and it wasnt my doctor, but I did call the doctor this a.m. and they told me the hcg stays in for 10-12 days and that by now it should be a safe bet. They also told me that a test may show thurs, even though I was schedualed, I guess my rational was that the hcg couldnt go out in a day and come back in another day as pregnancy. It is killing me, I have already told a few people! I hope hope hope that everything is good....
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-25-2003 - 10:14am
I am glad you called and they reassured you. It sounds very good to me! This is so exciting. How long were you trying? Was this your first IVF attempt?

Take care,

Missy

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-29-2003 - 12:20am
Hi. I am no expert, except to say that a blood test is usually very accurate, even one day early. I think you're probably pregnant! I did IVF and had twins - good luck to you!