New to board - 1 failed attempt

iVillage Member
New to board - 1 failed attempt
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 4:35pm
We recently went through our first IVF/ICSI/AH attempt - (I'm 37, dh 38 - ttc 3 years - 1 year with RE) -- the first attempt did not work. I have not been able to determine if the chances for pg improve with attempt #2 -- and do they increase or decrease with subsequent attempts. Does anyone have any thoughts? How many attempts until you were successful?

I'm waiting for my RE to return from vacation to meet with him on some of these questions, but would love to hear from others in my shoes....

Good Luck to all..

Jacque

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 8:23pm
I can't give you #'s but I have always been told that each time you attempt, your chances increase. I suppose it's because the more times you try, sooner or later, it's bound to work.

My 1st try didn't work either. We meet with our doc on 9/4 for the next round. Good Luck!

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-09-2003 - 11:21pm
Hi Jacque,

We went through our first IVF in June/July and had a negative result... We have been TTC for 3 years also and i am 25 dh is 27. I have been diagnosed with endometriosis, and have been trough other treatments prior to IVF

It was a very devestating experience for us and emotionally draining. At first i didnt even want to try again in fear of going through the pain of it ... but then we realised that we were putting our hope in the ivf to make it happpen instead of putting our hope in God... who ultimatley has a bigger plan and purpose, and whose Word and promises never fail! ... that lifted the burden, and we have decided to go for our next cycle Aug/Sept if all goes to plan (i dont want to sound all super spiritual or anything, just sharing our experience and what has been our strength in all this)...

After our negative result i also had the same concerns and questions as you and some of the beautiful girls on this board gave me some really helpful info... if you read through the archives you will find alot of encouragement in some of the messages posted. Especially read through the "waiting betwen cycles" messages - they are still on the recent general discussions list. You will be able to read some of the messages that the girls sent through to me which really lifted me up when i needed it most... I found out that the success rate almost doubles for second and third attempts... I suggest you have a look through i know it helps to share with others who really know how you are feeling, and exactly wahat you are going through...

But remember ... no matter what happens, never give up hope, because that burn you have inside to be a mother... is God given... and He always grants us the real desires of our hearts... It's just that he does it in His timing not ours... But His timing is perfect!!!! Even though it feels too hard to bear sometimes, just keep believing!!! I cant wait to hear the good news!!!

Hugs from Australia

Carlie

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-10-2003 - 4:55pm
Denise and Carlie.. thanks so much for your encouraging responses.... I read through the Waiting between Cycles archives and boy did that help : ) I'm now much more anxious to meet with our RE to discuss the next cycle. I'll also be reading closely on this message board as I'm finding alot of strength from you both and others.

My prayers are with you both and everyone on this board.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-11-2003 - 9:20am
Hi Jacque,

I asked my doctor the same question recently. I have 1 failed attempt and have just started IVF#2. My doctor is a major researcher in the field, been on NOVA and Frontline etc. He claims that there is no increase (or decrease) of success with IVF#2. He then told me that it takes most women 3-4 cycles to become pregnant. That depressed me but I'm still trying to think positive.

Good luck,

Sue

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 4:02am
Jacque

I am really glad you were able to find some helpful info... Keep us posted on your journey... Our prayers are with you also!

Hugs

Carlie

x

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 5:08pm
I had 1 failed attempt I go on this thursday for the result on the second attempt I am so afraid....
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 8:22pm
+++++++++ sending you good luck and lots of positives....
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 8:24pm
Hi Sue.. thanks so much for your message.... although hearing 3/4 attempts is a little disconcerting -- but like you I try to stay as positive as I can. Best of luck to you in your 2nd try -- may 2 be the magic number for you.
iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 9:03am
Thanks,

I start the Pergonal tonight (stimulating hormones)and I've had daily Lupron headaches but I'm trying to be positive.

Good luck with your next attempt

Sue