New to the board

iVillage Member
New to the board
Sun, 08-10-2003 - 6:15pm
Hello Everyone...My name is Vicki and I am a newbie. Just had a lap, Hysteroscopy and D&C on Wednesday and the news wasn't good. My RE said I have mega scar tissue from a surgery I had about 5 years ago in which I lost my right ovary and tube. He said we are not going to be able to conceive on our own so we are moving to IVF. I have not researched this process at length, but I know I can get a lot of great info and advice from this board. I was a lurker for some time on the IUI board! I haven't met with my RE yet, but I guess my main question is, How long does the whole process take? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks..Vicki
iVillage Member
In reply to: vicki113
Sun, 08-10-2003 - 7:23pm
Hi Vicki,

I'm pretty new too. I'm going to my RE for the first time on Wednesday. I've been reading a lot and think it takes about 2 months once you start, but it depends on what tests you need first. I am also missing my right ovary and tube and I have scar tissue on the left tube, so we are going for IVF rather than surgery. I hope to start next cycle (about 18 August) but I'll find out this week. I got a book from the library called "The Journey to Fertility, A Couple's Guide to IVF" by Dr. William Boggs and Dr. Rosella Smith. It goes through everything. Baby dust to you!

Alli

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 10:48pm
Alli,

Thanks for the advice and for the book info. I'll have to go to the library and check it out. I'm actually going to some IVF group consult where the nurse goes over everything step by step. I can't wait. It's not until 9/16...... which stinks. O well, I waited this long!

Sending lots and lots of baby dust to you also.

Vicki

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-18-2003 - 8:44pm
Hi Vicki,

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I visited the RE last Wednesday. A lot of information! DH is taking it pretty hard. I will begin meds wk Oct 13 and RT/TR week of Nov 3. We have our full orientation on Oct 8. It is from 9am 'till 2PM! I also have to schedule a bacterial cervical culture, HIV/hep bloodwork and once the results are OK, I go for a mock transfer. I will start BCP at the onset of my next cycle. I did learn that my insurance covers the injectables, so that is pretty cool. We thought we had to pay all out of pocket. How is everything with you?

Alli