42 and considering IVF 2nd time

iVillage Member
42 and considering IVF 2nd time
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 4:27pm
I will be 43 in a few months and am trying to decide if I should do one more IVF cycle. I did a cycle in APril and got pregnant, but miscarried at 7.5 weeks. My FSH level was 8.7 last time i had it done. I am having a hard time finding any success stories for people my age with their own eggs!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-13-2003 - 11:59pm
Well, I'm 42, be 43 in november. Found out the problem isn't with me or my ovaries as far as we can tell; we've been TTC for 2 yrs, but it seems I wasn't exposed to ANY SPERM!! DH has hypospermatogenesis, and tho we could use donor sperm, we're going to get some of his out with TESE, and do IVF/ICSI. So I'm being optimistic that my ovaries will respond appropriately, and that my uterus will happily welcome the little blastocyst. This will be my first attempt, and probably my only, as I don't think we can afford it more than once. My RE does advise us, however, that I am unlikely to makemore than, say, 6 follicles, and he plans on transfering any and all that look good, as he says the chance of having a twin gestation at my age is very unlikely.

So it is by no means a sure thing, but I'm ready for it (retrieval 9/4, transfer 9/7), and I figure I might as well be excited about it, because trying to not be isn't going to make me any less disappointed if it doesn't work!

jennifer

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-14-2003 - 8:14am
Good Luck to you! I also will be 43 in November, so I need to decide or just forget about it! It was heartbreaking when it worked, but then I miscarried. So now I am back to my old self and I just don't know if I want to put myself through it one more time. You didn't say what your FSH level is and I am not sure if you wanted to share that. Mine was 8.7 before the cycle and I made 9 eggs. All of them fertilized, with 4 of them being transferred. The other 5 did not continue to develop. Anyway, if you have any questions while you're going through your cycle, I'll be happy to share my experience with you.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-17-2003 - 2:26am
I think the FSH needs to be under 10. It doesn't matter where it falls, other than that. Mine was, I think, 8 or 9. So yeah, our hormonal concertos are working just fine. You did get pregnant, but sometimes people miscarry. It is really a killer, tho, when so much (emotionally as well as financially) has been invested.

It seems that there are many many ways to create this recipe. My RE has me on estradiol for suppression; then I'll use repronex and gonal f for stim, with Antagon the second half of stim to prevent a dominant follicle. What did you use?

I'm of course hoping this works the first time, but I know the odds of that aren't really on my side. DH will ONLY go through this one time, which is understandable considering what he's going to have to go through (the TESE or MESA), but if that wasn't a factor, I'd probably want to spend the money and time on attempt #2. Also, if money wasn't an issue, there would be no question.

But then, I'm also saying this without the experience you have. This is my first time, and, well, if it doesn't work, I may write you back from the rubber room they put me in.

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-18-2003 - 4:19pm
I was on birth control pills the month before stimulation, then on lupron for a few days, then lupron and gonalF and repronex until the HCG injection. They call this the Colorado protocol and it is used on us 'older' women (I speak for myself here, but I never felt old until I went through this!) and those difficult to stimulate. We also had assisted hatching done to the embryos. My cycle went really well as far as stimulation goes. I didn't even use all the meds I had. After the pregnancy tests, my levels were fine, but then they went to do a sonogram at 6 weeks and only saw the sac, but no fetus. So I had to continue with the projesterone injections for another week. I was sure that the fetus had not developed and almost quit taking the shots on my own. But when I went back at the 7th week, there was a fetus and a heartbeat! My RE was cautious, though because it was only mesuring at under 6 weeks. So it was touch and go. Then when I went back for a sonogram the following week, they didn't see anything. Ended up having a D&C, just a big emotional mess. Going into it, I said I would try it twice, but after all that happened, I just don't know. Thanks for sharing and good luck to you. Feel free to ask me any questions!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 1:16am
Wow, what a roller coaster! Man, I hope I'm ready for this. I know the statistics for us older women are grim, but I'm just going to go for it.

I do really appreciate your sharing your experience.

jennifer

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 9:03am
Well, I didn't mean to scare you! As my RE said, I was the exception, not the rule. Good luck to you. And if I had any advice to give, it's don't assume the results are negative by the way you feel. I swore I had big time PMS and I even had cramping, just felt like I was going to get my period, but I was pregnant at the time!
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 11:35pm
You are so nice. You know, what makes me laugh is the women on the board talking about waiting for the beta at the REs office, wondering if they should do a HPT. I'm a nurse-midwife. I know there simply is no way I'm going to be able to keep myself from doing tests at work every day, probably starting after 1 week. Do I know better? Yes. Will it make a difference? no.

jennifer

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 9:42am
well, keep me posted if you'd like. I ws tempted to take a HPT, too, but they said the HCG shot could give you a false positive and the only real way to know was with the blood test, so I held out. I did have one question for you. How do you already know when your retireval and transfer will be? I was monitored daily right up until the HCG shot, so I didn't know until 2 days before when the retrieval would be. It was difficult to plan anything at all!
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-20-2003 - 11:40pm
well, the schedule is tentative, but the NP told me they usually do keep to the schedule unless something on the sonos makes them have to abort the cycle. One reason is that they don't want 5 retrievals ending up on one day; they may have to adjust the med doses to stay on schedule. The dates may change. I'm just going to see. It;s hard for me, as I am a nurse-midwife, and I've got a schedule of my own patients to see unless I arrange for a half-day off in advance. I don't want to inconvenience the office, or piss off my patients. As it is, I've arranged to work only half-days for the week so I can do the sonos, except for the one day they couldn't find someone who only wanted to work half-day, so I have to take all day off. Not that I mind a day off, but I'd prefer to use my time off for vacation.

The hcg shot will give a false positive for about 8 days. I may be able to hold out for 10, but no promises!

jennifer