OPK & Retrieval ?

iVillage Member
OPK & Retrieval ?
Sun, 08-17-2003 - 11:56am
Hi

I am scheduled for ret/trans mid September.

This month I am doing OPK testing and I am suppose to notify the Dr. when I get a positive reading to set up sonogram/blood work & to start meds.

Has anyone ever used these before because I am so confused about the results.

According to my last 6 cycles I am a 31 or 32 day cycle with O coming on day 19.

I started testing on cycle day 12 and got negatives until Day 17 & today Day 18 when I got a faint line in the test window but it wasn't as dark or darker as the control line.

So according to the directions that is a negative result. If a positive result is 24-48 hrs before O shouldn’t these have been positive results? Otherwise O will not occur until like day 21 or later making this mths cycle a minimum of 36 days, does that sound right?

Also I have scheduled a week off work around the ret/trans time but now I am concerned because I think I may have scheduled the wrong week. Exactly when does retrieval occur? Is it usually before your normal O or after? I usually O on cycle day 19 would they do retrieval on that exact day or in the days before/after?

Thanks

Dani

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-17-2003 - 11:22pm
Dani,

There are, it seems, many recipes for IVF, but the majority of REs I have heard of, including my own, start with a sono and progesterone level on day 21 to establish that there are no ovarian cycts and that ovulation occurred a week prior. Then start suppression with either BCPs or estrogen or lupron, so that the ovulation cycle is totally in their control, and so that the ovaries start out quiet. Then after 2 or 3 weeks of suppression, start stim meds.

I don't get the role of OPK when it is the RE who is micromanaging your hormones. OPKs are for those who get pregnant without IVF.

I'm interested to know what the different protocols people have used, and the success stories (or lack thereof) to go with them.

jennifer

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-18-2003 - 11:49pm
Hi Jennifer

I spoke with the nurse today and she is counting my Sat result as the positive & has us scheduled for blood work, mock transfer, sono & DH first SA for Thursday which would be CD 22 for me so I guess its about the same whether I used the OPK test or not. I will start Lupron on Sat CD 24. Based on this when should I expect retrival?

Question about meds I read about a nasal spray med but all my meds are listed as injectables. Isn't there a nasal spray?

Thanks

Dani

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 1:09am
Hi Dani

My RE did sono and progesterone level CD 21. I started suppression CD22, but I'm using estradiol, rather than BCPs or lupron, I think because of my age (42). After that, the days of retrieval are being based on how the RE's schedule looked. His first opening gives me a retrieval sept 4 and transfer sept 7. So with that we go backwards 10 days: my next sono is aug 24 (this coming sunday!!) and estradiol level, and if all look good, start stim with repronex and gonal F for 5 days, then repronex, gonal F and Antagon for 5 days, with sonos every morning the last 7 days, then profasi to ovulate.

So to answer your question of when your retrieval will be? It depends on your RE's schedule. Oh, and as for nasal sprays, I think lupton comes in a nasal spray, but I have read in the message boards that it's actually worse than the shots. Tiny needles, very little pain. Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, the shots are no big deal. Being the parent of a teenager will be a lot harder!!!

Jennifer

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-19-2003 - 1:20pm
Hi Dani,

There seems to be as many protocols as there are REs. I've done Lupron for 2 weeks, and now I started stims on Saturday. They expect the retrieval on approx. 26-27th. Based on your dates I would expect retrieval on approx. 17-18 Sept.

Don't worry about the nasal spray, from what I understand it works the same way as Lupron, it is just that different doctors prefer different meds.

I am on Puregon and Pergonal injections, and still duing Lupron till my HCG shot.

I am new to all of this, however I've done several IUIs, one on injectibles, so I guess I am getting used to this whole process.

Good luck, I hope we both get BFP soon!

Kasia

Kasia (34), DH (34) TTC #1 since m/c in 2000 2 IUI/Letrozole