A Story of Hope

iVillage Member
A Story of Hope
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 6:30pm

Hi Ladies. I'm jumping over for a brief visit from one of the other boards (40+ and Pregnant...HA!!!) and wanted to wish all of you the best, regardless of where you are in your cycles.

I am an IVF mom to an adorable and precocious 5-year old daughter. My husband and I were diagnosed with male-factor infertility after multiple losses that included 2 ectopics, 1 chemical pregnancy, and 1 blighted ovum. We were told after 1 failed round of IUI to either go straight to IVF/ICSI or use donor sperm.

As I was 34 at the time, (hubby was 36) we went straight to IVF/ICSI and did have success on our first round, but it hindsight I feel like it was a miracle. I produced 24 follicles, 14 eggs were retrieved, 9 fertilized and 2 made it to 5-day transfer. We ended up with 1 beautiful baby.

18-months after delivering Mary Catherine, I discovered that I was pregnant and was certain it would be another ectopic. Lo and behold, u/s showed a healthy 6w4d baby with a heartbeat. I went on to deliver Benjamin at full-term. I was 37.

Needless to say I was shocked. When we went to visit our RE with Baby Ben they said, "You knew this could happen didn't you?" Uh, No! Didn't see that mentioned in the brochure anywhere. And weren't these the same people that gave us a less than 1% chance of successfully conceiving on our own?

Last year, at age 39, I conceived again. This baby, too, was in the right place, but at 7w had a very week heart beat. As the weeks were drawing on, baby's development lagged further and further behind. I finally miscarried at 10-weeks. :(

Last summer (August) I turned 40 and this past fall, decided that it was time to throw in the towel on having anymore babies. I knew that I needed to be satisfied with the gift of 1 medical miracle and 1 bonus baby. I packed up clothes and baby items for donation and put in a call to a local charity.

While waiting for a response, I realized that my period was really late. A hpt and follow up u/s confirmed another healthy healthy baby at 6w1d with a great heart beat. Unfortunately, my first trimester NT screening did come back with results of 1:17 for Down's Syndrome, but at this time my husband and I are refusing amnio. It just seems to dang hard for us to get any baby in the right spot with a beating heart and the risk of amnio outweighs the benefits for us. My 2nd trimester follow-up quad screen did come back with better results (1:173) for DS.

I'm just preparing myself for whatever may be.

My best friend, also age 40, has just gone thru her 3rd round of IVF/ICSI. The first 2 cycles were canceled due to poor ovarian response and then failure to fertilize. Her 3rd IVF/ICSI cycle did result in 3 5-day embies for transfer. 1 Stuck, but unfortunately, she miscarried at 7-weeks. Not uncommon for us 40 and over mommies. :(

So, while I know the reality of the situation, I also feel like I'm living proof that there can be a silver lining! We definitely attribute Benjamin and Baby #3 to our IVF/ICSI success.

Wishing you all the best,
Valerie

iVillage Member
In reply to: kcmom2two
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 7:31pm

Valerie--

If you haven't already, I encourage you to read this story of

Kate

Mom to Katelyn, Aidan, Grace,

iVillage Member
In reply to: kcmom2two
Fri, 03-26-2010 - 7:59pm

Hi Kate.

Thanks for your response...and YES, I have read Baby Nella's story. In fact I am now following Kelle's blog. A friend passed on her blog link to me and it has been such a godsend.

It has provided me with a lot of peace and comfort!

Thanks again,
Valerie