iVillage Member
Mon, 06-14-2010 - 2:04pm

Hi ladies!  My name is Mandy (30, about to be 31), DH (35, about to be 36); we are moving up from the IUI board.  We have a wonderful DS (about to be 4, concieved naturally in 3 cycles) who we've been trying to make a big brother for almost 2 years now.  We've been diagnosed with "unexplained secondary infertility" which as you all know is a big pile of crap.  We are on our last IUI cycle (#6 after 5 failed cycles + 1 cancelled cycle).  We have a consultation with our RE in two weeks to finalize our move to IVF (ask questions, set up protocol, etc).   Our RE suggested moving to IVF in Feb after 3 failed cycles but we weren't ready yet and we were certain that our insurance wouldn't approve us for IVF until our 2 yr mark (August 1st).  We are extremely lucky that we have some insurance coverage (more than IUI) even if we have to adhere to their "timing" rules, BUT we only get 3 tries which I worry won't be enough.   I feel like I know everything about IUIs and nothing about IVF, so look for about a million questions from me. 

I guess my 1st question(s) are what I should ask the RE during our consult.  I think I've got the overview of the 1st IVF cycle down (bc pills, another injection class, mock transfter, stims, ER, ET, beta) but I guess I don't know the nitty gritty.  Plus I'm not sure about the FET (less meds, can you do these cycle one right after the other).  I know I need to ask in what order I will do my IVF attempts (like 1 fresh, 1 FET than 1 fresh) or something else.  Plus I need to find out the meds - I'm a gonal girl so I know I will still be on that but not sure about the added meds, also is PIO a guarantee or is there a chance I get to stick with Crinone??  How many injections per day am I looking at?  Do you only have to do 1 mock or is it for every fresh cycle.   I'm wondering if my follicules don't have some sort of problem after all, will it be too late when they add the sperm for them to do some assisted hatching if they can tell nothing is happening or do they have to know ahead of time.  How bad does the ER and ET hurt??  Do they have to knock you out completely or can you be heavily sedated?  

I'm also slightly worried about my weight (about 40lbs overweight), whereas my RE and OB have assured me that my weight isn't causing our issues (I O on my own, etc), besides our ages and my c/s it's the only thing different from 5 yrs ago. 

I think that's all you need to know, I will be using my own eggs and my DHs sperm.  

TIA for any input!!  Looking forward to getting to know you gals and seeing your BFPs.  Baby dust & GL to all!!!

Photobucket
Cycle # 25 - IUI #6 (Last IUI)

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/220ca1

Me (30) & DH (35) TTC #2 since Aug 08 (DS naturally concieved after 3 cycles)

April 09 - Annual exam (pap normal) & discuss fertility issues, my B/W and U/S normal, HSG - clear/open tubes; S/A normal

Aug/Sep 09 - More b/w, repeat CD 3 b/w, everything normal

Cycle 12:  CLOMID - 50 mg CD 5-9 = BFN

Cycle 13:  CLOMID - 50 mg CD 5-9 = BFN

Cycle 14:  Natural cycle (no Clomid, no charting) = BFN

Cycle 15:  IUI #1: Clomid, Gonal - f , Ovidrel, Prometrim/Endometrim = BFN

Cycle 17: IUI #2a: Gonal -f 75, Ovidrel - CANCELLED due to a male partner issue = BFN

Cycle 17: Natural = BFN

s/a - counts/mobility still low

Cycle 18: Natural = BFN

Repeat s/a - off the charts!! Yay, can resume IUI!

Cycle 19:  IUI # 2b - gonal f 112, ovidrel, crinone = BFN

Cycle 20:  IUI # 3 - gonal f 112, ovidrel, crinone = BFN

Insurance & Fertility clinic screw me b/c they screw up their paperwork and we are forced to sit out again!!

Cycle 21:  Stim/Trigger/TI = BFN

Cycle 22:  IUI # 4 - Gonal f 112, Ovidrel, Crinone = BFN

Cycle 23:  Natural = BFN 

April/May - annual pap = normal, repeat CD3 b/w = normal

Cycle 24:  IUI # 5 - Gonal f 112, Ovidrel, Crinone = BFN

Cycle 25:  IUI # 6 (Last IUI) - Gonal f 112, Ovidrel, Crinone

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
In reply to: ttccupcake
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 4:06pm

Hi Mandy ~

I remember you from the IUI boards!

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 4:43pm

Thanks Caryn for your reply (yep the IUI board and the 6+ months board) and Congrats on the birth of Kylie!!

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-15-2010 - 10:10pm

Thanks Mandy!

My RE said 90% of his patients do ICSI, even the ones w/o sperm issues.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-16-2010 - 7:12pm

Hi Mandy, I'm on day 3 of stims for my first IVF, so I definitely know what it feels like to have all of the questions! I'm currently on 225 of Gonal-f in the morning and 2 vials of Menopur in the evening.

One of the questions that was important for me to consider when I was choosing my RE was in cycle monitoring. It is important to be monitored every other day or so during stims so meds can be adjusted. One place I went to did not monitor very often, so they were crossed off my list.

My RE likes to start with PIO, for at least a week, then he said I could go to suppositories if I am not tolerating it well.

We'll be doing ICSI, with whatever sperm they find with my DH, and I think with the backup donor too, but I'm not sure. Good luck!!

Photobucket

Photobucket

12/08~ Azoospermia dx

3/09~ Found good doctor for mTESE, save $ for IVF

6/14/10~ Start stims, antagonist protocol, hopeful sperm retrieval 6/23, hopeful egg retrieval 6/24, hopeful embryo transfer 6/29, beta 7/9

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 7:26am

Thank you Emmy for your response.

Photobucket