Two-Time Failure Seeks Advice!

iVillage Member
Two-Time Failure Seeks Advice!
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 2:13pm

Hi, all -- I'm Susan, and I'm a regular on the TTC Over 40 board and a sometime visitor here. I'm 42 and TTC my first child. I've done two rounds of IVF with no luck, but my RE thinks I'm a good candidate for a third try.

Here's my track record:

IVF #1 - antagonist protocol. 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI, 2 fertilized normally. Transferred 2 embies -- 1 8-cell and 1 5-cell. Result: chemical pregnancy.

IVF #2 - microflare lupron protocol. 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 4 fertilized normally. Transferred 4 embies -- 2 8-cells with no fragmentation, 1 7-cell, 1 5-cell. Result: BFN.

So tell me -- do you think it's worth trying again? Money is not really a problem, and I don't mind the IVF process at all. It's just the potential for more emotional devastation if it fails a third time.

I don't think donor egg/embryo is the answer for me (not yet, anyway), and DH doesn't want to adopt. So it's either IVF or a miracle natural pregnancy for us. I did have a natural BFP a couple of years ago but it ended in miscarriage.

Anyone have luck on the third try (especially after age 40)? I'd love to hear your advice, stories, etc. Thanks very much.

Susan CB

TTC #1 at age (gulp) 42

June 2008: m/c

April 2010: IVF #1 -- chemical pregnancy

June 2010: IVF #2 -- BFN

Susan CB

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 11:28am

Susan -

I'm happy to send you a copy of my protocol if you want it and I haven't already sent it to you.

Susan

Susan L.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Susan L.

Robert Edward Xavier Lin - Born July 31, 2010 at 5:56AM, 6 pounds 4 ounces and 19 inches long. He spent 2 weeks in the NICU but he's doing great now!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-13-2010 - 11:15am

Thank you for this post.

Although I'm not quite 40, I have had two failed fresh cycles, and a failed FET - and too many other failed medicated cycles to count. :(

HGH is probably not an option for me yet, but I do love hearing success stories and it always gives me hope to hear stories of success after multiple failed IVFs.

TTC #1

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 5:21pm

Hi Susan,

I am in a very similar boat. I'm 41, turning 42 in August. Never been pregnant. Tried forever. Did 4 IUI's and 1 IVF a few years back. Working on doing a couple more. I definitely think it's worth it to try again! I'm not ready yet to move on to donor eggs either. Did my first acupuncture this morning. It was fabulously relaxing! I've never heard of HGH with IVF, so I'm going to also ask my RE. Wishing you the best of luck and positive thoughts! Maybe we'll end up cycling at the same time.

Jill

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 8:07am

Thanks, Rebecca -- my RE in NYC says the same thing. Even so, my odds look to be about 1 in 5 at best. Better than the 2-3% chance we have trying naturally, of course, but those BFNs are far less heartbreaking.

Good luck with this cycle!

Susan CB

TTC #1 at age (gulp) 42

Susan CB

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-11-2010 - 7:42am

Susan,

My IVF clinic (I'm in Boston) says that a negative cycle doesn't predict another negative cycle until you've had three cycles result in a BFN. Maybe talk with your RE about what YOUR chances are----I know it's a bit different for each of us.

I wish you luck---a failed cycle is so, so hard.

Rebecca

2005 5 IUIs + stims---all BFN
4/06 IVF #1 BFN
8/06 FET #1 BFP. Twins born 4/07
1/10 IVF #2. BFP.

Rebecca

2005 5 IUIs + stims---all BFN
4/06 IVF #1 BFN
8/06 FET #1 BFP. Boy/girl twins 4/07
1/10 IVF #2. BFP. Lost baby 4/10 at 11 weeks.
7/10 IVF #3 . BFP. Baby #3 due 4/8/11.

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 3:53pm

Hey, Jenna! Nice to see you over here (and so very pregnant!). It's so frustrating that not all REs use the same methods. Can't they all just get together and figure out what works?

Thank you so much for the information. I am absolutely going to talk to my RE about HGH. I'm in NYC, where there are several good IVF clinics. I've been going to RMA, where the live birth rates for age 41-42 are 21% per cycle with transfer. If we do decide to try again I'm also going to look into Cornell.

Susan CB

TTC #1 at age (gulp) 42

Susan CB

iVillage Member
Sat, 07-10-2010 - 3:09pm

Hi Susan,

After 4 fresh IVF's, one FET, 11 IUI's, and 7 losses, I got successfully pg via IUI/stims at age 41. What I think made the big difference for me was two things...one was going on Metformin (I was finally diagnosed through a second opinion with atypical PCOS- PCO-type ovaries, infertility/loss issues, but regular ovulatory cycles). The other thing which I think makes a huge difference for women over 40 is adding HGH during the second half of stims through the day after trigger. The HGH adds about 1K to the cycle cost but it is worth every penny twenty times over IMO.

Check out this study.

http://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/20/9/2536/T4

This was a controlled double-blind study of women of 40 (average age slightly over 42)using HGH co-administration during stims. In the control group, there was a 4% live birth rate. In the HGH group, there was a 22% live birth rate! The pg rate was higher, but wahat was most dramatic is the reduction in m/c rates. Without the HGH there were lots of chem pgs and m/c's. On the HGH, when a woman got pg it usually led to a healthy live birth. As you've had chem pg's/losses, and are 42, I think you would be an ideal candidate for this. So yes, I would go for IVF again but I would not do it without HGH...if your doc won't prescribe it I'd find one who will. Not sure where you are located, I went to Pacific Fertility Center in San Francisco, you can check with Susan L about where her doc is. This is an off-label use and the substance is highly controlled due to abuse by bodybuilders, but there are a good number of docs who have been using it in older women with good success. BTW I had no bad side effects from it at all, you only take it for a short time. Basically the reason it is theorized this works is that HGH levels fall dramatically after age 40. Without sufficient HGH, the eggs do not contain enough IGF-1 for healthy cell division and you often get genetic errors as the chromosomes split during meosis and mitosis (and when these eggs are fertilized and implant, they m/c due to genetic errors) Supplementing HGH to "younger" levels raises the level of IGF-1 in the eggs which allows for healthier cell division and healthier, viable embryos, which leads to a big increase in healthy pg's/live births.

HGH worked for both me and Susan L (hhpg4me) on the TTC 40+ board on the first try using it, after previous failures without it. I cannot recommend this strongly enough for women over 40 with previous IVF failures but who produced a decent number of relatively good looking embies, especially women who have gotten pg but had chem pgs/losses.

Good luck and I wish you a successful cycle!

- Jenna, 41, DH 38 TTC since September '06 with MFI. 3 failed unmedicated IUI's with DH sperm, 1 failed IUI with injects with DH sperm, IVF #1 BFN, FET BFP but M/c week 5, IVF#2 BFP m/c week 7, IUI with injects and donor sperm: probable chemical pg. 1 failed unmedicated DS/IUI. Started BCP's 7/30 for IVF #3, ER 9/10, ET 9/15, Beta 9/24 results 9/25. BFP, Twins. Lost 1st twin at 9-10 weeks, lost second twin at 16 weeks 12/17/08. Attempted IUI #4 converted to DS/DH IUI April 09 at my request, BFP and M/c. IVF #4 June 09 BFN. DS-IUI w/injects 7/6/09, BFN. Hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove fibroid 7/29/09.Unmedicated DS-IUI 9/09, BFN. DS-IUI with injects, 10/09, BFP and M/C. DH/DS-IUI with injects and HGH, 12/6. BFP! Betas: 12dpo 12/18 58, 14 dpo 12/20 157, 16dpo 12/22 379, 22 dpo 12/28 4,002

pregnancy
- Jenna