Whether to Try IVF Again

iVillage Member
Whether to Try IVF Again
Tue, 07-20-2010 - 2:23pm

A research study has developed a new method of determining your chances for a live birth after your first failed IVF attempt.  They go beyond just looking at the woman's age, factoring in 52 other items that could effect the outcome of the second IVF cycle.   If you would like to read more about it, here is a link to the story: http://www.ivillage.com/better-way-predict-success-second-ivf-attempt/4-a-218771#comments?ice=iv:mb:msg:mm.

I know that determining whether or not to proceed with another IVF cycle is very difficult, would having this information help you make that decision?

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-22-2010 - 1:22pm
Melissa, I really like the sound of this study. It kind of drives me nuts that the current standards of determining someone's IVF chances is so age heavy. On paper, I look like the biggest lost cause ever - 39, horrible hormone levels, poor and low responder. Yet, somehow, for the few eggs I get, I seem to make great quality embryos. For my first IVF, I got only one egg, yet that one resulted in a highest HIP quality embie. Though I had a BFN from that cycle, for my next true IVF cycle (had a cancelled one due to premature ovulation), I got 6 eggs due to some tweaking by my RE, three of which resulted in high quality embryos and one of which is my healthy baby boy, baking at 33 weeks now. Some clinics would never have taken me as a patient, based on my numbers, and I KNOW that alot of REs would have cancelled my cycle long before the 18 days of stimming I did were over. It heartens me to hear, on behalf of other women, that drs are broadening their beliefs and standards.
Lara
L.ara